Crossmax Enduro Wheels - anyone own them?

Intense1

Banned
I'm considering purchasing a pair of the new Crossmax Enduro wheels for an upcoming build.

But I have caught wind of a couple of problems. Namely broken rear axles, free-hub bodies failing, and creaky wheels. I also don't understand why the rear rim would have less spokes than the front (wtf?), and it's very narrow at 19mm.

I'm hoping to hear from people who own the wheels and what your experience has been with them.

Cheers

scblack

Leucocholic
I have Crossmax SX wheels. Working perfectly with ZERO issues. That's for light DH, and I don't treat them lightly. Had them for over a year on my Intense Slopestyle 2.

urallwrong

Likes Dirt
Have a set and they're quite good. Rear wheel has narrow profile and minimal spoke count for light weight and acceleration. These are a "race" wheel after all.

I'm not kind to my wheels and so far, tough as. Most Mavic freehubs require constant service but it's overly simple and great piece of mind to stay on top of them.

Also, I've had some pretty good stacks and the bike has traveled some distance "unmanned" without a need for a true.

I can't say anything about broken axles since mine is intact.

I never used the tyres provided but have heard mixed reviews.

If Mavic is something you're keen on, consider the Xmax XL. A little more beef and 2.4's front and rear.

As others if not most on this site will state, you can get a fantastic set of what eveybody else has.....:yield: for a lot less cash.

Also worth noting... I weigh a scant 80kg.

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
I've had a few sets of Mavic wheels over the years. Although mine have been trouble free, apart from a bit flex which stopped me using a set, I think you can get better value for money going custom. You should be able to build yourself a stronger wheel, a cheaper wheel, a lighter wheel, a wheel that'll be easy to get fixed in the middle of no where, by going custom.

Go custom. I wish I had with my current 29r wheelset. They look cool but they're not as good as what I could've got by going custom.

I should add that my Mavic wheels stayed true and round with the treatment I dished out to them which was really good (Good that they stayed true). I'd still go custom though.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
19mm rim and 20 (propriety) spokes on the rear of a $1000 wheelset? pass.

Hope Arch Ex's at half the price, otherwise go for LB carbon wheels.

Mitto68

Likes Bikes
I have had a set of these for approx. 12 months. Have had zero problems with them and find them to be pretty tough. I had a pretty big over the bars off a small jump and landed on the front wheel and it still runs true.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had an older set of crossmax st from about 2011. New old stock from Crc. I had the freehub seize up twice before I sold them off. They were strong and light but I had king hubs already with some heavy rims on them which I now have built up with Zelvy 35mm rims. Lighter, stronger, more lively and faster acceleration. I've never been a fan of wheelsets with non standard parts (spokes etc). The newer versions are supposed to have better freehubs but I'm not sure.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Enduros seem like an odd choice for anything except racing. I've been very happy with the original Crossmax XLs, but they were pretty heavy for a narrow rim. I had the original Crossmax SX and the next version that were a bit lighter. Never any hub issues with any of the wheels but they did need adjusting every now and then and new bearings after a year or so. The newer SX rims are either softer or thinner compared to the older ones as I've dented them. They still seal up tubeless without any problems.

Having said all that I'd look at a carbon rim wheelset now. The first set of carbon wheels I've bought have been faultless so far.

The_Taurean

Likes Bikes
If you plan on running tubeless I'd give them a miss. I've found from experience that 19mm is simply to narrow to reliably run tubeless, especially on the rear. Burp city.

scblack

Leucocholic
If you plan on running tubeless I'd give them a miss. I've found from experience that 19mm is simply to narrow to reliably run tubeless, especially on the rear. Burp city.
I have run tubeless from the start with no problems. Only had one burp on the front due to too low pressure. I am using Minion DHFs 2.5 Exo.

Mate I've had a set. I'm a 100 kgs and the rim has warped twice under moderate riding conditions. Mine are xx1 rims which have an asymmetric spoke pattern and I'm just a little worried this may be a contributing factor. For the price they are not up to it in my opinion. I have had no problems running tubeless.

teK--

Eats Squid
Re above comments I also looked at these and wondered why I'd spend that much to downsize my rear rim. The point was to go wider and/or lighter over my stock wheels which were already pretty good.

Went LB carbon 35mm AM with hope evos and am stoked.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
No reason to run them now jeromec clementz is on sram. I think youcan get away with a narrow rim on thr rear with certain tyres like hr2 but generaly wider and fatter is better. Tyre manufactures will cstch up in the next year or two. A minion that is as fat and round as a ardent 2.4 would be lovely.

Intense1

Banned
Thanks for all the replies.

My main concern is the hub loosening itself automatically. Some riders report this as a problem, while the other 50% say the wheels have been trouble free.

Seems like it might be luck of the draw if I pull the trigger on a set of these. A shame really, they look so very nice.

Still keen to hear from anyone who owns a pair, and tell me what issues you've had or if they've been faultless

UL7R4

Squid
Buy them.

100% No issue's with mine, 90kg rider.

I did True them to .2mm both ways from new on my centrimaster with good spoke tension, to start with a good baseline.

Yes you do have to check the rear hub for loosening.. but u get a tool to adjust this and you can do it while the wheel is on the bike. (bronson so not sure if it differs for other bikes)

it takes 2 seconds..

I also have a set of EN821 the consumer version of this rim (hope hubs) on my sb66 again trued and no issuses..

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
They're actually $1598

Regardless I've decided to go with them. Will probably loctite the preload cap (?) as a precaution

Thanks for all the input
I've was speaking to my lbs last week and for a few $$ more they'll build you a set of Enve AM's on DT Swiss 240s.

I know what I'd be having!