Crossmax STs - 10 speed?

railit1

Likes Bikes
Hi all
Have a set of 2011 mavic crossmax STs. Thinking about going 10 speed, however on the mavic website it says they are compatible with 8 and 9, but no mention of 10 speed compatibility. Anyone know if they will run 10?
Thanks

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
interesting, i have a set of st's and just went 10 speed, 10sp casetter goes on fine, as i have 2 wheel sets, a set of twe and st's, after 1 short ride, the st's doesn't shift as well as the twe wheel set so much that i can't really use the set of st's with the 10 sp....maybe that there not compatible is the reason
love to find out more if anyone got any other reasons

Landon

Likes Dirt
10 Speed

Nonsense! :) 10 speed will work fine on a Crossmax ST hub. No need to worry. I've been using 10 speed on my SLR hub for ages. It's exactly the same minus some Ti bits and the colour.

There will no doubt be a very slight difference in cassette placement between different wheels. This may require a slight gear adjustment after a wheel change. Maybe the freewheel body is worn.

Jarrad

Likes Dirt
9speed and 10 spped clarification

Any 9spd freehub will take 10spd. That is all.
So just to clarify, the new 10 speed running gear has the same casette width as the 9 speed?
They just managed to squeeze in an extra cog?

Which leads to my next question - is there any difference between 9 and 10 speed deraileurs? I would have thought if the casette is the same width, there shouldnt be any issues with the deraileur covering the same width of gears.. Unless the rollers in the cage are smaller to cater for the thinner chain.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Not sure about the other way. I'm not 100% sure but I think the cage is narrower and won't work with the slightly wider 9 sp chain. Maybe someone can varify or dismiss this thought.