Cube AMS 150

Hi everyone, I've ben lurking around here for the last few weeks while I decide on which new MTB to get.
I haven't really ridden off road at all in the last 10 years, but am really keen to get back in to it.

The local bike shops have a pretty good range to choose from (too good actually) and I reckon I've narrowed it down to two.
I first saw the 2012 Merida One-Twenty XT-D for $3k and thought it looked unreal!
Then I saw a 2011 Cube AMS 150 Race for $3.5k, and thought it was even better!!!

I haven't had a chance to ride either, I'll be doing that this week.

To me (basically a noob cos I've been out of the game so long), the Cube looks to have better parts / build quality etc... But it is last years model.
Looking at the Cube website, I can't really see any changes to the 2012 model other than colour.

I'm looking for an All-Mountain style bike that'll handle trails down here in Tassie. (Mt. Wellington etc)

Does anyone have any experience with the Cube bikes? I know they are huge in Germany, but not many people seem to know much about them around here.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Can't comment on the 150 as I haven't had a chance to ride one (although I am hanging out to have a spin on a Sting demo bike), but I got myself that 120 XT-D a little while ago. Lots of fun IMO, nothing in the spec that makes me wince, although I did swap the rotors for some SLX ones I had floating around; I hate those basic Shimano ones that it came with stock. Otherwise it's good, pretty plush but still responsive enough to make someone coming from a HT (me) happy, and the pedalling effeciency hasn't made me sad.

I've got a dropper post on the way though, should make things much more fun!

PS: moving this to parts and stuff too, more appropriate there.

Last edited:

jhb

Likes Bikes
Where is the Cube? Haven't had a look at one in the flesh!

Both bikes look as though they'd thoroughly enjoy Mt Wellington!..

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
I've got a new 120 3000-d, the one above the XT-D and I reckon the platform is great. Efficient pedalers and heaps of fun on the downhills. Couldn't be happier with it. As for the AMS 150, havn't had a go on one yet but not sure how well a 150mm bike will pedal compared to a 120. They look sweet though!

Minlak

custom titis
Not in the same class of bike but i love my cube its very well put together welds seams finish etc and awesome geometry well from their built for race series anyway ....

This is what it looks like:

The 2012 model has blue, rather than green highlights.

I was at "Sprung" in Launceston looking at the Merida. The owner, Ian was telling me all about it.
Then I saw the Cube hard tails and asked if he had any dualies. He didn't have any for sale, but brought out his own new ride.
It's one mean looking bike :chuncky:

Pork Chop

Likes Bikes
I've seen the AMS 150, but own a 2010 Cube Fritzz The One. On paper and in the flesh it's a nicely spec'd bike (full XT, 160mm 32 RC2 Talas, and Formula The One brakes - which are incredible).

I, for whatever, reason liken Cube to Giant, biggest bang for buck I guess! The Fritzz is fun to ride but does not do uphill very well. I too got it for all mountain riding, and it weighs in at 14.5kg with xt pedals. I've travelled a few places with it; most trails around Victoria, and Rotorua/Taupo and Queenstown in NZ.

The build quality of Cube is pretty good, and they've got pretty eye catching paint schemes. Not the lighest frames out there, but I guess that makes you a stronger rider. However, I am selling the Cube as the lack of climbing ability is an issue for me. I also ride a Cannondale Rush and I thought that climbed 'ok', but compared to Fritzz, it flies up.

On a side note, I'll second SOTTA's post.. formula brakes are incredible. It's amazing how much confidence and faster you go knowing you can stop when you need to.