Current conditions at the Blue Mountains ?

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Im supposed to be headed out to the Oaks trail tomorrow with a bunch o people. Wondering if any locals can tell me if the blueys received much rain today/yesterday and if this would still be rideable.

Cheers

canttouchthis

Likes Bikes
the oaks would be fine since it is fire road no matter how much rain but it's mighty wet and cold. so unless your a mountain man better to stay home.
it's been raining non stop since friday .

go to bed jessica

Likes Dirt
the oaks would be fine since it is fire road no matter how much rain but it's mighty wet and cold. so unless your a mountain man better to stay home.
it's been raining non stop since friday .
PLEASE don't ride any trails when we've had this much rain, your going to do nothing but damage. Thanks!

after looking at the Nepean river today and seeing it up by atleast a meter, i recken the causway will have a lot of water accross it. last week sand had been carried up the road and deposited by water, so it was pretty high last weekend. this week weve had heaps more rain

the damage is done when u ride through puddles and the splash from the puddle carries sand and what not with it making the puddle deeper. if u dont ride through it then u will ride around it making the trail wider.

the surface is also very loose and breaks apart when wet. riding on it further loosens the surface for it to be washed away.

ruts are also formed from this creating a channel for the water to flow down. so damage is being done after u have been and gone and have already forgotten your ride.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
gotta be honest, im at winmalee and we have had bucketloads of rain, so my advice for what its worth would be to stay off any tracks up here at the moment, they are all extremely wet.
cheers.

tjb

Likes Dirt
What does this mean for the Careflight Glenbrook to Woodford race that's meant to be on next week?
I've been thinking the same thing. Surely hosting a massive event isn't the kindest to the track. Or skinny CX tyres :)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I've been thinking the same thing. Surely hosting a massive event isn't the kindest to the track. Or skinny CX tyres :)
The forecast is looking mostly coastal, and with a few days of mostly no rain, so the trail is probably going to get a good chance to dry up a bit. The skinny cx tires are fine. They cut through the mud, and in combination with the deep dish rims provide great steering stability. ;)

I might be giving the race a miss though regardless 'cause of familyish stuff. Mind you there's a good chance they'll be heading to the mountains that day anyway.

Cheers
Gonz

tjb

Likes Dirt
What sort of question is that?!!!!! CX tyres & mud rools!
It ain't mud I'm worried about. I was out on the crosser yesterday with road tyres. Quick short cut through the Royal National Park between Grays Point and Audley. Anyway, much sand has been washed away, leaving little rocks everywhere on some bits of fire road.

Maybe like pave ? I'm not so sure, but I'm sure puncture prone none the less!

My adventure then continued at the flooded Audley Weir, I rode across but had to perform a dismount to get over a tree. It wasn't a gracious CX barrier dismount either, my concern was more getting wet feet!