custom dh pants...what would u want?

03choko03

Likes Dirt
GF and I ( well mostly her) are designing and making some DH , FR pants.
What would be your ultimate pant, what features would you like to see?
we will be using a combo of 1000 denier nylon and 600 denier ripstop.
cheers for ya input

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
something that has minimal to no chaffing
light and breathes well, doesnt stick to leg.
good protection on the ass and knees.
velcro instead of a button
good price

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Yeup, somthing that breathes and will protect from grazes and such. Rugged and washable...

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
something with a fairly good baggy fit,
a good price,
durability,
good padding (maybe around the hips/upper thigh).

Maybe a pair of shorts wouldn't be too bad an idea either as many riders don't like to wear pants when riding.

03choko03

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replies so far.
I'm not sure that cheap, durable, breathable work in the same sentence.
what'dya rekon about zip off pants, ie convertable from longs to shorts?

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
maybe a pouch in the front groin area so that you can slip a box, ball armour in there. or extra (i mean lots) padding to prevent you losing your ability to have kiddies.

zip off pants sound like a good idea too.

pads on the knees and ass work, and space in the legs for armour to fit is a must.

hope it helps. id be interested in getting a pair, since 661 have quit manufature for 05 :(

W2ttsy

chandler_mate

Likes Dirt
yeh needs a pocket somewhere
the biggest pain in the ass with my fox shorts is there arent any pockets
and the second biggest is there fully heavy so make them light

chucky

Likes Dirt
have a look at some of those roach pants and casual looking stuff like that coz they've got some cool designs and ideas. but basically light, breathable and pockets of some sort would be cool.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Ive got 661 race pants and they have a cool feature - hip pads that velcro in. Worth putting in. but yeah, breathable, strong, GOOD FITTING!!!!!!!!!! and ast but not least...... cool designs - think '05 troylee...
Cost is not as important as quality (IMO)

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Shift make a zip off pant for motorbike but it has baggy legs without Velcro to tighten, and it has no padding. Great pants put legs on for Thredbo, Lithgow and mud and take off for Coffs Ourimbah and most other places.
C:\My Documents\Home\Eden\thredbo03.jpg
[/url]

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Hmmmm.....

My vote is for
> shorts that come up just below the knees,
> zippered, loops to put a belt on (elastic/draw strings on bike pants are not a good idea IMO, can move down in a crash)
> minimise stiching around the crotch area
> put in some hip and tail bone padding
> breathability is not an issue (we wear full face helmets and body armour anyway), protection in a crash is.

My current set up is denim shorts with some padded crash pants underneath for racing and thredbo.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Sow a pair of nics with padded hips into a well made pair of Hemp shorts without any look at me I'm a walkin/riding billboard logos and I'm not even sponsored and your on a winner in my opinion.

Byatch

Banned
If you are going to have zip-up pockets, make sure there is enough material there for the pocket to be packed out, and the zip still close comfortably.

This might not be a big thing, but it's the little things that make or break a design, and it may only cost another 30c to make a it winner

Comfy shorts are a winner too.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
No Skid Marks said:
Sow a pair of nics with padded hips into a well made pair of Hemp shorts without any look at me I'm a walkin/riding billboard logos and I'm not even sponsored and your on a winner in my opinion.
Yep, i concur.

Fallsrider

Likes Dirt
Yeah, defiantly a pocket or two, on on each side, that zips closed, and is big enough to fit your wallet and whatever else you want to carry. Small pockets are crap.

Defiantly belt loops, so may shorts just slide around in a crash and you get your hips cut. Tail bone padding, ass padding, hip pads, but removable, cause not everyone wants them. Go simple, not flashy crap ll over them, stick with black or gray , with a small logo.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
make the pockets in an area thats less likely to be landed on hard, keys in the leg are really not fun. maybe have an inner short that goes down the the zip off bit like on the oakley shorts, so much more comfortable to ride distances in.

bbob

Likes Bikes
One think to make sure of is that they arent too baggy round the crotch, cos it can make it hard to bail off the back...

I also agree with the zip up pocket where ur shit wont leave an imprint..

lotec

Banned
Silent Nemesis said:
Defiantly belt loops, so may shorts just slide around in a crash and you get your hips cut.
or you drop off some stairs next to a road to ride across before the cars come your pants slide down and you ride across the road with your pants around you knees :oops: