Custom Paint

Loopz

Squid
Hi guys/ladies.
Im thinking if painting my rims. Just want to find out if anyone has done this and came across problems when doing it..

I will be doing my own Camo design... cant be bothered paying for new Rims:D

Any tips welcome.

Cheers:eek:

danielh

Likes Dirt
i've painted my rims myself. i painted them white and they turned out real good. its pretty easy, all you have to do is make sure you tape up the spokes and hub real good or take the wheel apart. the hardest thing would be just the technique with the spray can or airbrush or whatever your gonna use and make sure to do alot of THIN coats and not drip the paint.

dailywar

Banned
yea i was going to ask the sme question. and is crome hard to paint over? i want to paint my single tracks yellow

Plow King

Little bit.
yea i was going to ask the sme question. and is crome hard to paint over? i want to paint my single tracks yellow

Leave them CHROME!!

Or if not sell them, chrome rims are sought after and are on high demand. Sell em and get some deemaxs or something if your that desperate for yellow wheels.

'Ross

Eats Squid
My advice based on doing this a few times is,

Remove all stickers and crap. Derr.

Sand the wheels a little bit with sandpaper, remove all dirt and grime and get them nice and smooth.

Use Primer!!! Absolutely essential.

Make sure its good weather, If its too cold it may drip or pool up, has happened to me and you will have to do it again.

Spray nice thin coats and lots of them.

Finally heaps of clear coat! Or else they will chip and scratch extremely easy.

$@NT@

Squid
just wondering would you take the spokes and hub off or just tape them up

Ive heard that spokes arent supposed to be removed (correct if wrong) and put back on

Jack122

Banned
no, you can take out the nipples and spokes i have snapped a spoke and me and my mate pulled my wheel apart and we reapered it all knew.

Nelly

Likes Bikes
After you sand them use wax and grease remover (prepsol) to clean all the dust, dirt and grime off. Try not to touch the area you have just cleaned before you prime it. Greasy fingerprints can ruin your finish too.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
random dig up,

can i paint my spokes or will something crazy happen to them, like the paint eating away at them.

i'm thinking of making my front and back rims match, the front is yellow and the back is black, i would like to paint the spoke at all different lengths yellow (do you get what i mean)

i would assume it can be done...

LIAM?!

Banned
random dig up,

can i paint my spokes or will something crazy happen to them, like the paint eating away at them.

i'm thinking of making my front and back rims match, the front is yellow and the back is black, i would like to paint the spoke at all different lengths yellow (do you get what i mean)

i would assume it can be done...
Yeah it can be done...

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they are stainless steel, so unless you paint them with hydrochloric acid they should be just fine.

try not to get pain in the nipples or it'll be a bitch to true the wheel.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
oh my god, that is the coolest idea ever, i just might do that

I'll Try on one of my shit bike first

Last edited: