Custom spec kids bike

pekel

Likes Bikes
The boss at work though he should make a pretty well specced bike for his 4 year old son. He started of with an mtx 150 and chucked everything except the frame, forks, handlebars, seatpost and stem.
The new specs for this bike are:
-Shimano xt front and rear derailleurs
-Shimano xt chain and cassette
-Shimano deore hubs front and back
-Shimano xtr disc rotors
-Maxis max daddy tyres
-Truvativ cranks
-Oddessey hazard lite rims
-Chriss kind head set
-Shimano xt brake calipers and levers
-THE seat and
-Snafu sealed bearing pedals

There were a few complications on the way of building this little beast like there was no rear brake caliper so two new holes had to be drilled straight into the frame in order to mount it. We could not got any larger than a 5 inch rotor on the rear of the bike as it would skim the frame so center lock hubs had to be used in order to get a small shimano rotor on the rear. The boss also wanted a 3 chainring crank set going onto the bike and you couldn't buy one straight off the shelf that had 140mm crank arms so we cut down a set of truvativ cranks to fit and painted them. I didn't like the white pedals with the white cranks but the pedals were scratched as they were put onto the bike and after i got everyone thinking on the same page as me the white pedals had to stay.

Oh and if anyone asks why. The answer we got was "because i can."
All up costs are around $3k

Attachments

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If i had a bike like that when i was 4, imaging what sort of bike i would have now:confused: hmmm.

That is so cool! I WANT IT! You have put a tiny bit more money into that than i put into both my dj and dh bikes:eek::eek:!

Have fun!

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
ridiculous
any normal 4 year old would struggle to ride that thing surely?
with the gears and brake levers being so big and close together?
with a 4 year old hand sizing?

Last edited:

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'v wondered when someone would do this to eather a mtx150 or mtx250...

but i was thinking basic casset dw wheels, slightly better parts all round, not this bling lol.

hmm you could set the brakes in further... i'm sure he'l learn lol..., tho get rid of the big ring and put on a bashy.

and i'm guessing you boss owns a bike shop?

He had to wait until he was four! How unfair! That is so sick... I know a little boy who will be getting something like that once he is old enough to walk. I bet the little unit loves it too...

What a good dad!

pekel

Likes Bikes
the sizing isn't too bad for the kid as he is quite big for his age.
i agree with the folks saying way too much time on his hands
the rear caliper was a mission cause there no brake mount. theres a 2mm wide and a 4mm wide high tensile brake bolt holding it in. i hope it doesnt break

Dandelion

Likes Dirt
Holy sh*t! that is the coolest thing in the world.
The only part I don't like is the stock forks. Do you think it would work getting a Shiver SC fork, and putting the Shiver DC triple clamps on it to make a custom 20" fork?

Sorry for the dig BTW:p

pekel

Likes Bikes
like the idea

haha Can't do much about the stock forks. It would be awesome though if it had some good 20" forks on it.
I think those Shiver SC forks would be a tad heavy for a 4 year old