4X Custom STP0

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Just thought I would post up my bike.
It's an 05 giant stp zero and it's taken a fair amount of riding since I bought it. It's main usage is for 4x and general razzing. Sorry for any shithouse photos.
Here it is close to stock:

Here it is at the moment:

Frame - Giant STPzero 05 (Metallic Charcoal w/ cut front derailleur guide)
Front shock/fork - Manitou Minute Elite Super Absolute 100mm
Handlebars - Sunline V1 750mm
Stem - Sunline V1 am 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - Sunline Logo Lock Ons (white)
Saddle - Funn Skinny RL
Seatpost - Easton EA50 (cut down)
Front brake -Hayes nine 6" rotor
Rear brake - Hayes nine 6" rotor
Bottom Bracket - Shimano xt m770
Cranks - Shimano XT 170mm
Chainring - e13 Guide ring 34t
Chainguide - e13 lg1
Chain - Shimano Dura-ace
Pedals - Shimano PD-M424
Rear derailleur - Sram x9
Rear shifter - Sram x7
Cassette - Shimano Ultegra 11-23t
Front hub - Formula
Rear hub - Shimano Deore
Front rim - Sun Rhyno Lite xl
Rear rim - Sun Rhyno Lite xl
Front Tyre - Maxxis Highroller eXCeption 2.1
Rear Tyre - Maxxis Larsen tt eXCeption 2.0
Tubes - Maxxis Flyweight

Last edited:

bsx_comp_9

Likes Dirt
everything you just stated parts and paint etc, sounds like the perfect upgrades looks nice now but will be really nice when the upgrades are done

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Ok, so today I went out to buy all the stuff for respraying the frame. I've decided on white knight metallic charcoal paint. I also stripped down the bike to the frame and started sanding it down. I might try to way all the parts later on if i can get a decent set of scales. I've now noticed just how farkin heavy marzocchi dirt jumpers are, holy crap is all i can say! They'll be going fairly soon though. I'll either be getting some pikes or the 09 reba's with 20mm axle look the goods as well.
Pics:

I've got some questions that need answering as well:
1. With the painting, I've decided to sand the frame to a decent level, primer, coat and clear coat it. Will getting rid of the paint with paint stripper be beneficial or produce a better overall finish? Perhaps getting it bead blasted may be better (although more pricey).

2. About how many layers of clear coat are needed?

3. Will isopropanol (sp?) and other thinners do the same job as prepsol when it comes to degreasing the frame before painting?

Lorday

Eats Squid
thats a sick bike, you should have used plast-kote or what ever its called, there panits are a shit load stronger and look much better.
Hahah good luck w/ the sparay job.

Last edited:

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Was gonna go plasti-kote but they have a pretty average choice of colours. Hopefully the whiteknight turns out well though. I like the colour anyway.

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Ok, so I started stripping the frame today. I made abit of a mess and it was alot harder than I thought, kind of frustrating sometimes. It was a pretty cold day. The stripper I used is called k+h fast acting paint stripper. Anyway here are a few pics.

The frame with the stripper on it.

The paint bubbling.

The frame as it is at the moment (I'll work on it more tonight)

Some of the paint was really stubborn and is a pain in the ass to get off. Here's a close up of the bottom of the downtube.

So I kinda had abit of a cock-up but this is all new to me and abit of a learning curve.

Thanks guys, comments are much appreciated.

Cippa

Likes Dirt
you picked a good primer, but the paint i wouldn't recommend using.
you can get ones just for metal surfaces and the clear coat isn't needed if you hav done a couple of layers of the coloured paint.
i used some of that same paint on mine for little details and it defitnately didn't do as well as the paint made for metal surfaces.
just my thoughts....

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, Its Robbie,
I just repainter my BMX from orange to black, i just left all the paint on with a bit of a sand down, i used $3 paints and it turned out really nice, I also used the same clear coat that you will/ have.

Good luck with it!

phil p.

Likes Dirt
If that fails: Duct tape.
Please explain?

So I got the headset removed and now I've started to do abit more stripping. Again, some parts are really stubborn and are very hard to get off while other bits come off reasonably easy. I'm kind of regretting not just getting it bead blasted.:(
So does anyone have any ideas of how to get the really hard bits off? or maybe I'll just sand them down later.
Thanks guys.

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Stripping is done.

Just gotta give it abit of a sand down, degrease and start painting.
Oh and I also took off the front derralieur cable guide for a bit more cleaness.

Last edited:

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Painting is finito!

Pretty happy with the finished product. Just gotta let it dry over night, polish and wax it then build her up again! Stoked.
Oh and that's my sisters room in the photos by the way.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks the goods dude, nice paint colour too. How is the seat post held in while its being painted? Did you leave the clamp on?

I would say single speed it... but there should be more money invested elsewhere first, like forks, brakes, tyres and that. For a cheap weight loss, why not try Maxxis Fly Weight tubes. 98 gms a piece, about half the weight of my old generic tubes that I was riding on, and not very expensive either. The seat looks wicked too, how much did it set you back? Got a link?

Keep it up.

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Paint looks really good but chips pretty easily, after a weekend of racing it's already got a few battlescars. Definetly not going to go singlespeed as there is a fair amount of hills around my place and I like the versatility of being able to bash it around in the bush doing downhill/all mountain type riding in spare time.
I'm still saving up for new forks and will probably be getting new tyres and tubes soon (looking at a 2" highroller for the front or possibly schwalbe racing ralphs/nobby nics)
There will be photos put up when I get a new bottom bracket so I can fit the cranks and things on.
Seat was around $50-$70 from the lbs.
Oh, and the seat post (from another bike) was kept in with some electrical tape to fatten it up and then jammed in. (It actually fell out once but everything turned out alright.)