Cutting ramps on a Nobby Nic.

The_Taurean

Likes Bikes
Hi folks,
I've been running an Ardent race on the back of my Spicy as I'm pretty sensitive to rear tyre weight but I need something a bit stiffer and grippier. I was going to go a regular Ardent but as everyone was sold out I thought I'd try a snakeskin Nobby Nic. The weight of the Nic is good at 606g on my scales but I'm a bit skeptical about how fast it'll roll. I'm considering cutting ramps on the centre knobs to improve it a bit, like the HR2 I've got on the front. Assuming I can actually do it without trashing a $90 tyre, what's your opinion Rotorburn? Brilliant, worth a try, epically stupid?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
use an angle grinder, 12" or bigger for the win...
post results in the gruesome pics and fw threads, recover then buy some tyres to suit your bike and riding. of course you could be the greatest tyre designer in the world and don't know it yet.

PS. nics roll really well, so long as you stay clear of shale and sharp rocks as they roll better when not slashed and penetrated.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Pfft......save yourself the effort. Fit it up, pedal around the block, the knobs will have all fallen off of their own volition by the time you reach your driveway :thumb:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi folks,
I've been running an Ardent race on the back of my Spicy as I'm pretty sensitive to rear tyre weight but I need something a bit stiffer and grippier. I was going to go a regular Ardent but as everyone was sold out I thought I'd try a snakeskin Nobby Nic. The weight of the Nic is good at 606g on my scales but I'm a bit skeptical about how fast it'll roll. I'm considering cutting ramps on the centre knobs to improve it a bit, like the HR2 I've got on the front. Assuming I can actually do it without trashing a $90 tyre, what's your opinion Rotorburn? Brilliant, worth a try, epically stupid?
you paid $90 for a tyre?

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pfft......save yourself the effort. Fit it up, pedal around the block, the knobs will have all fallen off of their own volition by the time you reach your driveway :thumb:
Pull some skids to remove any excess as well.

Edit: Why didn't you just buy a Rock Razor................

Last edited:

Fatherpaul

Likes Bikes
I was bored one day and used a dremel to sand down the centre line between the knobs to improve grip on a crossmark. Thats a few hours of my life i'll never get back.

Its very difficult to impossible to cut the knobs neatly and safely. High risk of also cutting a finger off. If you want to shave the knobs down then a sanding linisher of some sort may be the only way.

Overall but, as have been there, i wouldn't waist your time.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I was bored one day and used a dremel to sand down the centre line between the knobs to improve grip on a crossmark. Thats a few hours of my life i'll never get back.

Its very difficult to impossible to cut the knobs neatly and safely. High risk of also cutting a finger off. If you want to shave the knobs down then a sanding linisher of some sort may be the only way.

Overall but, as have been there, i wouldn't waist your time.
You guys really need to get a hobby or a girlfriend or a season ticket to the local knock shop.........

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy a ribbed franger and try removing the ribs, will give you an idea of how it will go. report back on durability

Flow-Rider

Burner
It can be done with little problems with a 4"grinder. If you haven't used a grinder that often don't bother, it wouldn't even take me 20 minutes .

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Buy a ribbed franger and try removing the ribs, will give you an idea of how it will go. report back on durability
Actually that's probably worthwhile. Apparently, they're for her pleasure, where's my motivation?

The_Taurean

Likes Bikes
use an angle grinder, 12" or bigger for the win...
post results in the gruesome pics and fw threads, recover then buy some tyres to suit your bike and riding. of course you could be the greatest tyre designer in the world and don't know it yet.

PS. nics roll really well, so long as you stay clear of shale and sharp rocks as they roll better when not slashed and penetrated.
Unfortunately I don't have a big grinder. I do have a drop saw, beer, a camera and health insurance. What could possibly go wrong? :D

DJR

Likes Dirt
If you really wanted to do this, use side cutters ( aka diagonal pliers) and start with every 2nd knob. If you want to do it quickly though, put it on backwards, go find a nice rough asphalt street and do skids till you rip the leading edge off the knobs then put it back the right way

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
two words if you don't like the drop saw.... Stanley knife. Don't do it at the kitchen table though, sit the tyre on your knee or groin

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
two words if you don't like the drop saw.... Stanley knife. Don't do it at the kitchen table though, sit the tyre on your knee or groin
Two more words you'll need after the Stanley....stich es :faint:

I'd actually recommend a ramset powder actuated clout gun. Probably won't be much chop for trimming the tread blocks, but they're great fun, and the results should be a lot more..........sudden.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should just stick with the best tyre........MAXXIS

The Ardent and Ardent Race are both exceptional rear tires

If you still want to go with the tyre cutting just use a sharp blade
or some side cutters

You can beef up the sidewalls with a heavier tube;);)

Gripo

Eats Squid
I did this last year making over a Maxxis Crossmark as a rear tyre abd worked....

Used a new set of pruning shears from Bunnings and cut the round side knobs and sharper ramps into every centre knob....

Probably what Maxxis need to do with it....ie. a Crossmark Trail....lol