Cycling Computer - What one?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day
Been looking at getting a computer for my BMX bike to use when training. There are so many out there, really have no idea what brands are good/bad etc etc. The only features I want are:
-Wireless
-Can read crank RPM/Cadence
-Speed

Any help?

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
Cateye Strada Cadence Double Wireless http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=58048

Small, light, easy to read display and simple to set up. Can transfer across a couple of bikes so easy to use across a collection. Quite robust attachment.

Otherwise go one of the Garmin models and you can use HR as a training tool. Is also very handy being able to download data from sessions and use it for analysis. I would direct you this way if you are training semi seriously. Its a jump in price as you will need the 500 to get cadence and HR but a worth while investment in my opinion.

T-Rex

Template denier
I've got a Garmin 500, highly recommend it for endurance work and trail riding. Can't really comment on it's suitablity for BMX, but it has the features you are after.

Garmin has the added advantage of the GarminConnect web site, where you can store, view and compare your training sessions. It also does map overlays which is great for trail riding - again probably not relevent to BMX.

0psi

Eats Squid
I'm a Garmin fan but I don't think it'll work too well for what you are doing, it can have a shit sometimes (with GPS data at least) if you are doing laps/back and forth in a small area. You'll still get reliable data from your speed/cadence unit, just not maps occasionally. Having said that the GPS will probably still work 98% of the time. I use mine a fair bit and I've only had it do silly things 3 or 4 times.

Niterider Rebel's are great. Designed as a mountain bike computer rather than a roadie thing so it's tough and easy to use with full finger gloves. I think the Rebel 3.0 and up are completely wireless including cadence sensor. Plus you can put the wheel sensor on the back wheel if you like.

The only major advantage of the Garmin is the ability to download data and get pretty maps showing where you've ridden. Given that the pretty maps may stuff up occasionally on a BMX track and you can write down all your data off the Niterider I'd save your dollars and get the Niterider.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
GPS systems have an inherent degree of fudge factor*, which will become more apparent on a small course such as a BMX track. For such a situation I'd add a vote to the Cateye mentioned previously.

*The GPS system is operated by the US military, and the error factor does vary depending on how active they are. If they're in a particularly sensitive mood, the error can be several hundred metres. Interesting side point: I once slept with my Bryton GPS unit running, primarily so I could see what my heart rate did while I was asleep. When I plugged it in & downloaded the plot the following day, my bedside table, where the computer unit was resting, had apparently walked around my house and into the neighbouring properties several times, covering well in excess of a kilometre! Not bad going for an inanimate object! :lol:

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Have just upgraded from the Cateye V2c which does the same as the Strada Double Wireless on my road bike to a Garmin Edge 500 across all my bikes.

The Cateye performed 3 or more years of great service, reliable connection between the sensor and the head unit - fundamentally replaced it as the screen got scratched the shithouse going into my pocket with keys at the work end of my commute.

The Garmin is great, although I've decided to get a second speed/cadence sensor for the MTB as I found the tight twisty stuff up at Woodend meant that the GPS track came up a few kays short - also had similar problems with my CX bike on short race loops - similar i imagine to what you will experience on BMX - but if you want cadence anyway, they're not terribly expensive to grab additional units.

I'm definitely happy with my upgrade.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should have stressed I dont care about GPS or anything like that, all I want is cadence and top speed.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I've got a Garmin 500, highly recommend it for endurance work and trail riding. Can't really comment on it's suitablity for BMX, but it has the features you are after.

Garmin has the added advantage of the GarminConnect web site, where you can store, view and compare your training sessions. It also does map overlays which is great for trail riding - again probably not relevent to BMX.
I use this too, I only use it on the home trainer though, I like it, its easy to use and you can set it up fairly well to show you what you want.
the satelite will move around a little like I can be stationary and it shows iv moved about 100meters over a 1hour ride due to variation on accuracy, in terms of cadence and speed it should be perfectly fine, but I cant imagine it will be easy to read while sprint a BMX bike, but it will track it all on the computer once you hook it up. Cadence and speed should go hand in hand once set up for your bike. For BMX id be inclined to really push the use of a power meter, given the type of training and sprinting involved. Although id still suggest getting a HR monitor.

I went with garmin over polar due to the ANT waves it uses, polar tend to get interference with power lines and other things where garmin don't get these. At least from what I read they dont get the issues. if you get a garmin it will have a cancer warning on it but don't worry its just because of California's insane proposition 65