Cycling through Brisbane city?

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Howdy folks,

I'm currently considering a job in central BrisVegas, and am wondering what, if any, facilities exist for city cyclists. The office block I'd need to get to is located at 349 Coronation Drv. So what I'd really like to know is:

1. Are there any bike paths that run into/through the city, or are cyclists supposed to dodge the city traffic?
2. Are bike(s) allowed on Brisbane rail network, and if so are there any major problems?

I'm currently commuting approximately 15km on my each way on my MTB to uni at present. So I'd probably be looking at a radius of < 20km each way (although likely to be East - towards Cleaveland as the missus should be able to get a transfer through work) as a comfortable commute to work. I know there's a shower/lockers in the building, so basically I'm just trying to work out if we move to Brisbane whether city cycle/commuting is a viable option as I don't ride in traffic.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
yes bikes are allowed on brisbane trains, however not on brisbane buses. unfortunately, the public transport system in brisbane leaves a bit to be desired, and so while you can take your bike on trains, occasionally someone will get uppity about it if the train is busy, and there are only 4 or 5 major train lines in brisbane. luckily, one of them is the Cleveland line :p

as for riding through the city, it's not too bad. from Coronation Dve into the city (only a couple of Kms) there is a bikepath along the river. it basically heads from Toowoong (another couple of Ks past your proposed work) to the QUT campus at Gardens Point in the city. to get to a major train station from Coro Dve (ideally Roma St or Central to head to Cleveland) however, you'll need to follow the roads. Brisbane traffic, however, isn't too bad for riding in - it just stops along Coro Dve, and nobody goes anywhere. :p

there is heaps we could tell you, so feel free to ask.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
...yes bikes are allowed on brisbane trains, however not on brisbane buses. unfortunately, the public transport system in brisbane leaves a bit to be desired...
Yeah, Australia's public transport system on the whole is rather poor. No wonder everyone simply drives a car! :rolleyes:

...luckily, one of them is the Cleveland line :p

as for riding through the city, it's not too bad. from Coronation Dve into the city (only a couple of Kms) there is a bikepath along the river. it basically heads from Toowoong (another couple of Ks past your proposed work) to the QUT campus at Gardens Point in the city. to get to a major train station from Coro Dve (ideally Roma St or Central to head to Cleveland) however, you'll need to follow the roads. Brisbane traffic, however, isn't too bad for riding in - it just stops along Coro Dve, and nobody goes anywhere. :p
Thanks for the above info, definitely what I was after. ;)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
If I was/wanted to ride, what is the best bridge to cross the river to travel South/East?
couple of options...

south you could go either the Grey St bridge (vehicle bridge, just at the end of Coronation Dve) across to South Bank, and then go from there, or you could ride along the aforementioned bike path to QUT Gardens Point, and then across the Goodwill Bridge (foot/bicycle bridge) to the opposite end of Southbank (Woolloongabba end) and again, go from there...

as for east, you'd probably head through the City towards Fortitude Valley, and then across the Story Bridge. you could get through Woolloongabba to the opposite side of the Story Bridge (i.e. via one of the Southbank routes above), but that's certainly a less direct route.

really you're probably best off looking at a map and finding the shortest route, but that's the way i would do it.

Ryan

Radministrator
If I was/wanted to ride, what is the best bridge to cross the river to travel South/East?
Probably either the Goodwill Bridge or the Story Bridge. Once you're over either of those it's all Bikeway along the side of the river, which is a bloody nice ride for a commute.

Problem with trains; bikes aren't allowed on trains going into the city during the morning peak-hour, or out of the city during evening peak-hour, which can be an absolute bastard. Otherwise you'd catch the train to Milton station and ride ~ 5 minutes (if that) to where your office building is located.

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Where are you riding from/to??

I know one ends toowong but where from??

I use the bridge between southbank and toowong whenever i head that way. If you can make it to southbank, theres footpath all the way to coro drive then all the way down it as well.

As far as going the other way?? Depending on destination, I would use the footbridge on the far end of southbank that goes over to the botanic gardens then follow the river. or stay on the southbank side and follow the river.

So many options...

Wood

Oracle

Likes Dirt
really you're probably best off looking at a map and finding the shortest route, but that's the way i would do it.
Yep, been looking at google maps, but unfortunatley these don't tell you if there are dedicated cycle lanes etc. :cool:

Probably either the Goodwill Bridge or the Story Bridge. Once you're over either of those it's all Bikeway along the side of the river, which is a bloody nice ride for a commute.
Thanks for that, and the train info!

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yep, been looking at google maps, but unfortunatley these don't tell you if there are dedicated cycle lanes etc. :cool:
ah true. as far as brisbane is concerned, you're better off assuming that there isn't a dedicated cycle lane. that said, most major roads are flanked by ample foot/bike path if you do not feel comfortable riding on the road.