Cyclocross - whats the point?

placebo

Likes Dirt
CX bikes are like road bikes for people who aren't weenies. Don't care about the sport as such. Running = LOL.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Cyclocross make better commuters than road bikes- especially with disc brakes but the whole drop bar thing off road does my head in. Everyone rides on the hoods which defeats the leverage in the brake levers- cant change gears as well and all your wait is on a small part of the bar/hand. It is just dumb, uncomfortable and not very pleasurable.
Unless you get dirt drops. They are heaps better and I'd even say better for longer rides. Only problem is descending you either pick the drops which means you are super aggressively low (read:eek:tb) or you are on the hoods (read: can't brake well).

I take the cx out on fire roads when it's been raining hard, sometimes I give it a smash on the single track if sections look dry. Getting out and running? Not sure, I ride because I hate running.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Everyone rides on the hoods which defeats the leverage in the brake levers- ..... It is just dumb, uncomfortable and not very pleasurable.
I find these ultegra discs quite powerful really, esp. through skinny tyres.

Can't argue with the second part though, but same as running a rigid single speed really, there's obviously something fun in the challenge element of doing it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cyclocross make better commuters than road bikes- especially with disc brakes but the whole drop bar thing off road does my head in. Everyone rides on the hoods which defeats the leverage in the brake levers- cant change gears as well and all your wait is on a small part of the bar/hand. It is just dumb, uncomfortable and not very pleasurable.
You could always flip the drop bars so they are up...that would solve your issue nicely.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
OK, OK. I need to spill the beans, and this is the absolute truth this time*.

Cyclocross would have lived and died a happy life in the merry beer soaked fields of Belgium, but for my nefarious plan to generate an industry devoted to making my commute more fun. It's just too plain fucking hard to push a mountain bike to work and back every day, and too plain fucking boring to ride a road bike. So of course, I've spent the last twenty years traversing the globe secretly faking end user data, consumer surveys, sales figures, race attendances, customer expectation charts, you name it. All to build an entire industry devoted to serve my whim for a better commuting bike.

Looks like it's paid off handsomely!

*sort of. Well, it could be - but you'll never really know, now - will you ;)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Would love to go back to 1 x on the front, but this bike currently has a set of road wheels fitted with slicks, works alright as a roadie too IMO. Don't know if I'll ever go full road as I have done over 4000km on this bike in 6 months, most of them on slicks as it's been winter, otherwise that would mean 2 bikes with twice the outlay and half the K's. Doesn't make sense really...

Nick Njegac

Likes Bikes
Would love to go back to 1 x on the front, but this bike currently has a set of road wheels fitted with slicks, works alright as a roadie too IMO. Don't know if I'll ever go full road as I have done over 4000km on this bike in 6 months, most of them on slicks as it's been winter, otherwise that would mean 2 bikes with twice the outlay and half the K's. Doesn't make sense really...
10 speed or 11?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
'Sif you cross chain for photos Billy! Perfect chain length though

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ease up! can be a weenie with a CX bike. :lol:

Out of curiosity what do you guys recon of your TCXs?
Currently tossing up between a TCX or Bombtrack Hook...... two completely different bikes one appeals to my desire for fancy bits the other to my desire for asthetics

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Copped a look at the 2016 Focus Mares CX bikes in both alloy (AX) and carbon (CX) the other day...both look pretty but the carbon jobbie is sensational in the flesh

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out of curiosity what do you guys recon of your TCXs?
Currently tossing up between a TCX or Bombtrack Hook...... two completely different bikes one appeals to my desire for fancy bits the other to my desire for asthetics
like that Giant, would almost make a perfect road/gravel bike I reckon.