D321 VS. Trailpimp

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
huh ?? i thought deemax were just 321s with a gay paint job and laced to mavic hubs. never heard of them being sold as just a rim.

BTW, i have nothing but good things to say about my 321s. Best rims ever IMO.

Ryan

Radministrator
D3.1's are essentially the same rim as on the Dee Max and are sold in plain old 32 spoke, as opposed to the Dee Max's 28 spoke. This means you can mount em to just about any hub out there... (mmm D3.1's on Hope hubs)

lindsay

Likes Dirt
The new deemax wheels dont have 321 rims as ryan just said. There is no such thing as a deemax rim. Deemax is the name of mavics dh wheelset.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 321's, and I loooove them. I feel they can take an absolute flogging and still cry out for more

wombat

Lives in a hole
The 321's are a much better rim than the trailpimps. The trailpimps aren't bad, but are hyped up a lot more than they deserve to be.

dave

Likes Bikes
I have had a set of 321s for about 4 years and they have been faultless. Except for the time I hit a log at 50km/h that was hidden in long grass. But that is another story. I dont think you can go past a set of Mavic rims. They are by far the best.

Ty

Eats Squid
remember that there are 2 deemax wheelsets now, the old yellow ones which used a rim very simlar if not the same as a d321 and the new white tubeless one which uses a d3.1 rim with 28 spokes.

the mavic is more a race rim where the trail pimp is a more of a 'huckin' rim IMHO.

fastrider gus

super huck
are you crazy wombat?? i think you have rabies or something.. why doesnt bender use 321's then if they are sooo good?? dont get me wrong.. 321's are sweet as but i dont think they are anywhere NEAR as strong as trailpimps...
321's dont have the best reputation compared to atomlabs...

wombat

Lives in a hole
fastrider gus said:
are you crazy wombat?? i think you have rabies or something.. why doesnt bender use 321's then if they are sooo good?? dont get me wrong.. 321's are sweet as but i dont think they are anywhere NEAR as strong as trailpimps...
No "Gus" I don't have rabies, I was under the impression that the disease wasn't present in this country (luckily). But if your argument relies on insults then that's fine, I'll base mine on facts.

Why doesn't Bender use 321s? probably becasue he uses Arrow rims built onto Seismic hubs. Sure they're a strong wheelset but I somehow doubt that'd you'd need that much strength (I think barely anybody does). Either way he sure as hell isn't using trailpimps.

Why would I choose 321's over trailpimps? A combination of things like the fact that the 321's have a welded seam and reinforced eyelets for starters. Also becasue of the horror stories I have heard of Atomlab rims flat spotting, cracking and just folding.
Take a look at this review (I know they're not trailpimps but still, it says a lot about Atomlabs "reputation"). And this review was written by a team who was at the time sponsored by the company. I think it takes a fairly bad product to get a poor review from a sponsored rider. http://www.dropmachine.com/reviews/aircorp.htm

As soon as I can find the thread I'm looking for which discusses the trailpimps I'll post it up.

On a side note, whatever you choose, make sure it's a good build. The quality of the build will play a bigger part in longevity than the rim itself ever will.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fastrider gus said:
321's are sweet as but i dont think they are anywhere NEAR as strong as trailpimps......
Also not NEAR as heavy as Trailpimps either.(321=675g, 3.1=580g, trailpimp=895g)

fastrider gus said:
I wouldn't go that far Gus, check this thread, can you see anyone thats not happy with their 321s ?

fastrider gus

super huck
yea well i guess im wrong hey... i still totally love atomlabs though. i have had no experience with them so im basing what i say on other peoples thoughts.. i have ridden 321's before and they are fine.. untill you start doing more gnarly drops and jumps.. IMO..

adam

Likes Dirt
ive got a set of 321's, and theyre great! Theyve kept straight for me for about 3 months now. The rear has just a very slight wobble after 2 days of thredbo, but that was straight out of the box. They might need a little tensioning or something.

Ive never tried trail pimps, so i cant compare. Ive noticed a few pros/semi pros use 321's (or 521's) so theyve gotta be doing something right.
:)
Adam

oz-freerider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have had my 321's for a while now and i blew up my planet x hub ( shatted 2 bearings and snaped the axle)and my rim was still dead straight and still are (and this is on a hardtail!) i am verry happy with best rim i've ever had and i'll be sure to get them next time i'm looking for a dh rim