Damaged bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im getting into downhill and im looking for any damaged bikes(ie: Cracks on frame). This is only because im dont really want to fork out alot of money at the moment so if you have any thing please tell.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends how bad the crack is though spanky,
If its a small crack then it can be sold for a really cheap price then it can be repaired pretty easy for not much cash. So these the price for a cracked frame and repair job would be cheaper then a non-cracked frame i would imagine.

Maybe not for Dh but I have a cracked DJ bike on one of the seat stays and I have been smashing it about for like 1.5 years and it hasn't got worse.

im not at all worried about it braking cos im not doing big stuff, and ive had bmx parts snap on me its not THAT bad but its only to start with.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi im getting into downhill and im looking for any damaged bikes(ie: Cracks on frame). This is only because im dont really want to fork out alot of money at the moment so if you have any thing please tell.
im not at all worried about it braking cos im not doing big stuff, and ive had bmx parts snap on me its not THAT bad but its only to start with.
I'll assume you're quite young... and clearly, you need to be brought up to speed.
Some cracked frames are repairable, but they cracked for a reason and it's a good sign they're not actually up to the task.
Forget this plan - it's probably going to guarantee a bad outcome on several fronts, not least of which might involve injury (and believe me, one day you'll realise injuries suck).
You're far better off, if you really have such little budget, getting quite an old (but reliable design) complete bike - there are some on Rotorburn.
Consider what you're doing and you'll probably find a much better bike than you thought you'd get.

Last edited:

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clearly, you need to be brought up to speed.
Some cracked frames are repairable, but they cracked for a reason and it's a good sign they're not actually up to the task.
Forget this plan - it's probably going to guarantee a bad outcome on several fronts, not least of which might involve injury.
You're far better off, if you really have such little budget, getting quite an old (but reliable design) complete bike - there are some on Rotorburn.
Consider what you're doing and you'll probably find a much better bike than you thought you'd get.
What he said, there is really no such thing as a harmless crack in DH a hard hit can stress the crap out of it and cause snappage at any time, and when your hooning down a track thats really not what you want to happen. I think looking for an older cheaper bike is the go, whats your budget? Maybe a HT DH bike might be a nice start?

The thing is im doing bmx at the moment and i want to try my hand in DH but i don't want to spend too much yet, and my dad has fixed a couple of cracks on mountain bikes. And for what ill be doing im not too concerned about crashes, and yes i have had my share of crashes, almost a ruptured spleen. But yes its mainly the price so if anyone has some old bikes that are good, or slightly damaged such as dings, cracks, small bends, or what ever please tell me.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing is im doing bmx at the moment and i want to try my hand in DH but i don't want to spend too much yet, and my dad has fixed a couple of cracks on mountain bikes. And for what ill be doing im not too concerned about crashes, and yes i have had my share of crashes, almost a ruptured spleen. But yes its mainly the price so if anyone has some old bikes that are good, or slightly damaged such as dings, cracks, small bends, or what ever please tell me.
OK, you're still not quite getting the message.
Even if you only weigh 40kg, you're going to come to a screaming halt when a cracked frame gives way. Most DH rigs are aluminium, and there's a fine art to repairing it (if it can be done at all, ask Grip).
Look at getting an undamaged bike.
Unlike BMX, DH usually involved faster speeds and things like trees and rocks to land on when your frame breaks. Part of DHing is protecting yourself - helmets, pads, neck braces) - in stacks, which happen often.
You don't want a bike breaking on you. Period.
Take the advice and look for something in good nick.

ok i know what you mean, do u know any lower market/old good conditon bikes. But i have fallen quite hard, quite fast, it really hurts, but in reality im not really going to be doing any thing that big yet, but i do u get exactly what you mean

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why does this seem to be going in the "my crash was bigger and worse therefore i know more" thread?

mate to be deadset honest i would not put my most hated enemy on a cracked frame and send him on a downhill run. there is way too much at risk. when a frame snaps bad things happen only made worse by the fact that there is many trees,rocks and other sharp and hard painful things protruding from the earth

go find an older norco or something there are bargains to be had out there esp with older bikes they are a little tougher then the newer aged bikes

NSR

Likes Dirt
stacking halfway down a mountain is not something you want to do. when a frame snaps, it will usually do it in a big way...
do yourself a favour; don't buy a cracked frame. Trust me and everyone else... it hurts.

get trading access, and you can buy pretty much anything on rotorburn that suits your budget

ok thanks guys i understand its gonna hurt alot more and its likely to happen? So please anyone with any old bikes/used etc tell me.

NSR

Likes Dirt
far out, man...
do you have a death wish?:confused:

bikes in perfect working order are scary enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.