damaged fork sliders

digger

Likes Dirt
I've got a shiny new pair of Fox Talas forks which are great BUT .i'm pissed off cause I've discovered a scratch on the sliders from my hack riding no doubt. It's ever so small but it has already started to cause the seal to leak. Is there a fix for this or am I up for a new crown & sliders AND seals? Help?

spongebob

Likes Dirt
hmmm small scratches on stanchions can be gently smoothed with fine sandpaper & even filled a little , but if the seal is leaking around it still then the news isn't good with those forks - the 2 stanchions / crown / steerer tube come as a single item & can't be replaced separately. Replacement is very expensive - mate was up for over 800$ recently to replace damaged stanchion on a fox... Get an expert at your LBS to have a look.

tu plang

knob
If it is ever so small, then you will be able to fix it by sanding it back lightly to remove any burs and make sure it wont damage your seals further (or again once replaced.) You'll lose a bit of your anodized colour but thems the breaks.

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
sand it back with 'wet and dry' sandpaper 400 grit. fill with several layers of nail polish ( you can even high light the scratch by choosing a different colour and then sand back any over fill with 400 up to 1000 grit wet and dry.
works a treat and is absolutely reliable.

Dan

Likes Dirt
*Grabs sisters bright pink nailpolish*

There ya go bud, no one will even notice!

:p