damn that hurts...

DW-1

Dirt Works
for those that didn't know; last week Dirt Works co-founder Richard Powell was hit by a car on the M4 motorway in Sydney while on the way to work.

What happened?

He was on the M4 and was coming around a car stopped in the breakdown lane. Had signalled his intention and came out – he had room to do it.

The edge of the breakdown lane/first traffic lane had a bump/transition – that he was aware of. For whatever reason, Richard got kicked a bit out further than planned. He corrected back towards the breakdown lane & things went wrong. The first car swung wide & passed without problem. The second guy was not paying attention & struck Richard full on. (somewhere between 80-100kph) :eek:

Seriously?

He's pretty broken. Here’s the list of bones

Tibula & Fibula (lower leg bones) – right side– with the bones sticking out it requires surgery.
Scapula (shoulder blade) – left side
Clavicle (collar bone) – left side
Ribs x 8 – rear left

Associated skin grazes plus he’ll be bruised black & blue.

He was conscious and lucid the whole time. Told me that after the collision, he felt “OK” – that’s adrenalin for you, what a drug! Thought was to get off the road into the break down lane – and it was when he thought about getting up that he realised that the right leg didn’t work any more.

Also told me that while he was waiting in hospital he knew the shoulder blade was broken – because he could hear/feel it squeak.

He’s enjoying the drug induced comfort. Coughing involves a complex process of preparation to minimise the pain – which doesn’t appear to minimise the pain from what I observed.

Monday UPDATE:
His leg is held together with a funky arrangement of scaffold. 10 year old kids with Mechano sets would just love the little bolts & clamps that it goes together with.

Wounds look good – no sign of infection, which is good considering that Hospitals are full of sick people.

He’s due into surgery today at some time: to put the leg bones back together, and to do the same to the collar bone. Richard was saying that the surgeon is a cyclist – that’s a good thing. If everything is good following the surgery, he could leave hospital in about 3 or 4 days.

Point to note: he can’t use crutches because of the collar bone. So he’ll be chair bound for the short term, or hopping on one leg.

Overall, he’s in good shape for the level of injury. Feels pretty good overall. He has some killer bruises – like all of one side of chest & back, and his butt is black as (no, I didn’t look: he showed me a discreet photo taken by his fiancie).

One strange thing that I observed is that Richard was going to turn down some pain relief. I told him that you might feel OK now – but later on you might just want that.

You want to know how the bike is right?
Totalled. Salsa La Raza with Chorus. 100% write off. (ok maybe the Salsa seatclamp can be saved...)

(the pics below shoe the leg shortly after the accident with bones protruding and the leg currently with metalwork)

Elvis

Attachments

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Damn.

Given the possible outcomes of the situation, he is a very lucky man. All thoughts and wishes go out to him.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Thats ass!
Far too much complacency in drivers out there at the moment. Ignorance or unawareness of the situation is not a reasonable excuse/ reason.
Coming out of the situation as good as he did he should get a lottery ticket!
Heres wishing him a speedy recovery.

All the best

Damien

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I think the next time someone says 'bike insurance - why would I need that?' I will point them to this thread. Get well soon, Richard.... OUCH

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Whats happening to the DW crew? didnt the SA rep also get carted off to hospital yesterday after a stack at an XC race?

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is so shitty.

That is why I am very reluctant to ride on the road. It only takes one fool to kill you.

It does not matter if you are in the right or not! You can obey all the rules, but by god it still hurt.

Best wishes to him on full recovery.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Whats happening to the DW crew? didnt the SA rep also get carted off to hospital yesterday after a stack at an XC race?
almost. That was Mark... our general manager. He's down in SA with the DW trailer and demo bike fleet.

never send a roadie to a mtb event... *sigh*

He'll be at the Melrose fat Tyre Festive next weekend.

Elvis.

tu plang

knob
That is a nasty collision! Hope he gets on the mend soon!

On a barely related note, I'd be stoked if the salsa seat collar was salvageable - anyone priced those lately! ;)

DW-1

Dirt Works
Sending him there is fine, letting him ride is another thing altogether.
to be fair... we did put him on a Salsa. (a 29er to suit his odd proportions too)

oh no... I see a trend developing...

Richard get's slammed by a car while on his Salsa...

Mark KO's himself while on his Salsa...

I just built my Fargo... *shudder* :eek:

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
That's ok, you'd have to be riding it. :p
rode it to work this morning... and will again tomorrow, and the day after... :p

It was creepy on Friday morning riding past the spot where Richard was smashed the day before...

Elvis.

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
UPDATE:

Richard was in surgery yesterday for both the shoulder and the leg. :eek:

His Dr is a cyclist which is a good thing as he understands the needs of another rider over the long term.

Report last night was all very positive.

Even if the paitent was a little drugged out the whole time I was there... :D

Elvis.