Dartmoor Wish

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, some of you may know that I am involved in taking photos for and with Fearless Cycles, once there was word that a wish was coming to Aus I was pretty stoked to see it, photo it and have a ride. Well, it came, was built, photo'd and ridden and since then I've wanted one. So I nagged Rick into submission and he handed over the frame for me to build, so a huge thanks to rick for being so generous with the frame! its on a return basis so I'll eventually have to hand this one back when my own arrives, but in the mean time I'm pretty stoked to be on this one! Enjoy!

Main
Frame: Dartmoor Wish Proto
Fork: 2011 Fox Float FitRC2 180mm
Shock: xFusion 02 RCX

Cockpit & Controls
Headset: Dartmoor Flash
Bar: Dartmoor Nitro
Stem: Dartmoor Funky
Grips: Dartmoor Lock-on
Bar ends: Generic Black
Top cap: Dartmoor 'Ride Your Way'
Seat: Ragley Blue Lightning Ti Rails
Seatpost: X-Tech
Clamp: Unsure

Wheelset
Front hub: Crank Brothers 20mm
Front Rim: Crank Brothers Iodine (Iron)
Rear hub: Crank Brothers 135QR
Rear Rim: Crank Brothers Iodine (Iron)
Spokes: Crank Brothers
Nipples: Crank Brothers
Tubes: Hutchison AM
Tyres: Front: Hutchison Barracuda Enduro 2.3 Rear: Hutchison Barracuda Enduro 2.

Brakes
Caliper/lever: Hope Tech V2 (Blue Lever)
Rotors: Hope 203mm

Drivetrain
Cranks: Raceface Atlas FR (Blue)
Chainguide: Dartmoor
Pedals: Dartmoor Fever
Shifter: Sram X9
Derailleur: Sram X0
Crankbolts: Generic Ti (Iron)
Chainring: Dartmoor Hornet (Red)
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace 10sp
Cassette: Shimano XT 10sp
Cabling: Clarks Braided

Big thanks to Rick @ Fearless Cycles for all his help www.fearlesscycles.com.au

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno yet, was hoping for white, but am led to believe white was purely for proto, so have to wait and see

Wolfgang D

Likes Dirt
THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZINGLY FUNNY!
You have never had a ride day worse then that.
haha all sorts of questions spring to mind.... did you have a bad encounter when the seat disappeared???

awesome build! i first saw this frame in a magazine and ive always loved the shape!

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
Can we get a ride report?

If I remember correctly the previous proto-build was running a 160mm fork, would be interested to here how it feels with the 180mm on there.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Can we get a ride report?

If I remember correctly the previous proto-build was running a 160mm fork, would be interested to here how it feels with the 180mm on there.
I'll get him onto it, I know it's made a pretty significant difference between the 180mm and 160mm, the one in Poland was running a 180mm fork.

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
I'll get him onto it, I know it's made a pretty significant difference between the 180mm and 160mm, the one in Poland was running a 180mm fork.
Hey mate,

Any update on the ride report? That new colour-way in the other thread has got me seriously considering a trade in on the big bike...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Hey mate,

Any update on the ride report? That new colour-way in the other thread has got me seriously considering a trade in on the big bike...

Got onto him, he's doing it tonight.

also from dartmoor:
This is a dark graphite in real not a black. This color of the frame will be used as a base for the Wish Pro complete. Turquoise frame will be a base for the cheaper complete model - Wish. Both bikes will have the same frame and with the same Vector R coil shock just Wish Pro will use more high end components.

So stoked on 2 complete options that are going to be budget friendly!

Wish PRO

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK! Ride report time!

Riding Type Downhill/Freeride

How does it go with a 180mm fork you all ask? Well for starters its so, so much slacker than with a 160mm fork, with 180mm up front it starts to feel very much like a DH bike, so much so the slackness probably surpases the feel of a FR bike and skips right into the realm of DH, keep in mind I like things soft and I'm running some 35-40% sag on the rear shock.
How does it pedal? Well, going up the trail or just pedaling around its pretty good! the bob is quite low and the fox floats don't bounce around horrifically, however, I wouldn't be keen to pedal it up a steady incline that requires a sit down, the saddle, even right up is just so low its ridiculous, which in itself isn't a bad thing, it gets the saddle out of the way for everything else, on the descent however (its intended build purpose) it pedals like a boss, was completely confident to pedal into jumps at speed over rough stuff, the reduction in the pedal bob does however make some of the smaller bumps stand out a little bit, but nothing ridiculous, and lets be honest once the Wish is in the air, its there for a seriously long time, its so light and easy to throw around its really not fair.
To continue on from ricks ride report and also to contradict it a bit, sorry mang, the rear end feels mildly sloppy, its not entirely the bikes fault, I'm blaming my wheels partially(I completely destroyed a CB hub, had to rebuild it). I think that i'm used to a 150x12 rear end, and a 135QR just wasn't up to the thrashing I dealt out with my plowage, however in saying that, the bike felt in no way un-easy to ride or sloppy in its entirety, even with my completely stuffed hub it felt quite dialed and very easy to throw around and over whatever came its way. The BB is at a nice height where your low enough for stability, but your high enough not to destroy your chain guide and ring on every root you ride over.
The Wish sort of gives you confidence you shouldn't have, I've found due to its weight i'm grabbing the brakes a little later, throwing it around more into corners and hitting more jumps than usual, couple this with the fact the seat it completely out of your way in most circumstances and a really smooth pedaling action and it becomes probably not the best DH bike on the planet, but probably one of the most fun ones! Its diversity really makes it a stand out, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable pumping up the floats and doing proper jumps on it, or if I had some proper skills hitting up a slopestyle track. Overall with the 180mm fork its a very relaxed, smooth ride, so much slacker than with a 160mm fork but completely ready to go down a hill with quite some pace.