De-evolution or Diversification ( Bike or Bikes)

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Schwinny,

That liquid drive thing is cool. Too bad it looks like it weighs 500lbs and is dorky as hell. But it certainly has huge potential.

It also opens the possiblity of 2 wheel drive. Imagine the traction and cornering! It also opens the possibility of completely different suspension designs. No more chain torque influence.

If they can get it all to fit into a bb shell, you can have way more clearance. No chainguides, no cogs, no dished wheels, no discs and no dirt. I'm stoked. Sign me up for the 2020 version.

S.

ex offender
Kram said:
Hey Schwinny,

That liquid drive thing is cool. Too bad it looks like it weighs 500lbs and is dorky as hell. But it certainly has huge potential.

It also opens the possiblity of 2 wheel drive. Imagine the traction and cornering! It also opens the possibility of completely different suspension designs. No more chain torque influence.

If they can get it all to fit into a bb shell, you can have way more clearance. No chainguides, no cogs, no dished wheels, no discs and no dirt. I'm stoked. Sign me up for the 2020 version.
www.christini.com

Rik

logged out
2wd is silly, I can't see what good it'll bring at all. Better traction? Just learn how to ride!

shwinboy

Likes Dirt
Kram said:
Hey Schwinny,

That stuff on that sight looks clunky I agree but it's a working prototype. Can you imaging what wouild happen if a big bike Co got a handle on it knowing that the public will lap it up if it is as light or lighter than the regular drive train. I'm sure the multispeed dependant biking public would love the infinate range of graring a hydrolic system would offer. You're totaly right about the suspension design thing tho and the exclusion of pedal torque influence. It'd be totally dueable as wel and you wouldn't need to replace speokets and chains ever so I predict that neither shimano nor sachs will be embracing it soon.

Rik

logged out
For a highschool project, I did alot of research on CVT systems, they'd be great for bicycles.
Combine a cvt system with computer control and rpm monitoring, program your target cadence and just sit on that all day and let the computer vary the gearing to suit *dreams on*

But the low rpm, high torque nature of pedalling means that chain drive will stay for alot longer.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Rik said:
For a highschool project, I did alot of research on CVT systems, they'd be great for bicycles.
Combine a cvt system with computer control and rpm monitoring, program your target cadence and just sit on that all day and let the computer vary the gearing to suit *dreams on*

But the low rpm, high torque nature of pedalling means that chain drive will stay for alot longer.
Hmmm, I don't like to hear "computer control" and bike in the same sentence.

(for the pedantic out there I know he didn't say "bike", but it was implied).

wombat

Lives in a hole
Haha, not impared, just phobic. (me runs and hides in corner).

Seriously though I am very skeptical about the longevity of a complex electrical system on a mtb.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Eggzacery, we all keep losin the vibe of the ride.
remember how cool it felt the first time you rolled dwon the driveway without training wheels
( my riding predates training wheels)
The wind in your face the breeze through your knees etc
all more stuff to worry about and spend $$$ on. Still i keep experimenting thereby negating my own arguement.
I'll shut up now