dead polar s710 or s720

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I have had my polar hrm for possible 7-8years, and have now got a MEMORY FAILEd on the screen. I try holding down the reset and it blanks screens and comes back up with the same error.

So my questions are: has anyone heard of this happening, and do I give up and just get a garmin?

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Over that sort of time period, it might be an internal memory battery failure. I'm not familiar with that model, but there might be a small button cell battery in there to keep the memory for settings etc. which has probably gone flat. Try replacing this before turfing it!

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I have had my polar hrm for possible 7-8years, and have now got a MEMORY FAILEd on the screen. I try holding down the reset and it blanks screens and comes back up with the same error.

So my questions are: has anyone heard of this happening, and do I give up and just get a garmin?
RED - bad news I'm afraid - your motherboard has died... Exact same thing happened to my S710. Sent it back to Polar and that was the diagnosis.

Cost me $220 :eek: a couple of years back to get fixed minus postage to Pursuit Performance (Oz Polar Distributor) in SA. Because mine was a S710 they replaced it with an S720 motherboard so essentially I have an S710 now with S720 innards (not that there's too much difference).

You could *almost* get a new HRM for that price, so you need to weigh up how much you like your Polar...

fezi

Likes Dirt
I just got my 725 battery replaced by this mob. Cost approx $40 all up. Had it back inside a week. I'm much happier with my polar than I am with my garmin. Garmin doesnt seem realistic for energy expenditure, seems to read way high and changes when I swap bikes especially when I go from the training bike (with cadence/speed sensor) to the race bike (without cadnece/speed sensor). Its splitting hairs but the Polar software is much better than the garmin.... my $2.50 worth.

After reading the above I have a 610i (I think that just needs a battery.) PM if ya want it. The price is right. (read postage only)

Last edited:

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Well if you're not comfortable enough to have ripped it apart already, maybe not. Check for any obvious screws or ways of opening the case.

Otherwise, call Polar tech support. They might have a better idea of what could have caused the error, the battery thing is just a hunch.