Dealing with a sandy slope

ss-stp1'06

Likes Dirt
hello to all

me and a couple of friends have a trail, and there is a part which is quite a steep down hill...and the trail goes inbetween a couple of bushes and a tree, and then theres a drop off a rock onto more downhill...
now this would not be that much of a problem...except there is a corner leading into the drop, and it is very sharp. Also its made of sand...we tried digging it out...but it just kept comming and comming. Just wondering if there is anything that we can do to the sand to make it ride-able..:confused:
thanks

urbanrider

Banned
Maybe shove tonnes of rocks over the sand, so no more is visible. Then pile dirt over it. Rocks will keep the sand stable.

Big_Chief

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do what they did at a top riding spot in sydney.
maybe if you pour gallons of water on it, it may become ridable?

bbspecial

Likes Dirt
add some cement to it to hold it together (ie. to make it harder but not a super hard solid thing) then maybe add some dirt ontop?

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
does grass grow on sand?:confused: :p
Yea Buffalo "shack" grass will, you need roots in the sand to hold it together, otherwise you need to spread the loads from your tyres so you don't bog down in it, you could make a timber ladder bridge and half burry it so it doesn't move, or tile big flat rocks in there like pavers.

scratchy

Farkin Activist
It sounds like bad trail design. A boggy corner before a drop off is just begging to hurt people as they will often come out of the corner off balance. You said it was steep, so contour the track away from that area.

Povi

Likes Dirt
marty i think we've decided to give up on that trail, it just way too tight and technical plues there is NO WAY that we can move that tree

ss-stp1'06

Likes Dirt
marty i think we've decided to give up on that trail, it just way too tight and technical plues there is NO WAY that we can move that tree
we wernt planning on moving that massive tree!:p
im just getting ideas...and if one day its all raining and stuff we can go there and fix it up

jock180

Squid
it might sound dumb but you can put old carpet over it. like they do on home made 4X tracks. this will hold the sand in place and stop you sliding as much.

Battler

Likes Dirt
I dunno if this would work but would smoothing out the sand and compacting it as much as possible and then get you hands on some chicken wire and lay it over the top and bolt the corners down some how. I would imagine it would grip your tires nicely but maybe to much.:rolleyes: And if you fell off on it well thats another story in itself. neway just an idea.

chris

user name

Likes Dirt
build a north shore over the top of it all, this is exaclty what therye designed to conquer. or you could put mesh or old fence mesh over the sand, yes you will still have to ride through it but there will be a solid feeling of grip underneath you.

Mulder

Cannon Fodder
maybe if you pour gallons of water on it, it may become ridable?
Considering sand is very efficient at draining I doubt putting water on it would work. (Hey look at the beach!) As stated before it sounds like bad trail design, building North shore is a ridiculous idea unless the drop is exceptionally fun to ride as it is most likely you will end up with nothing but wood scraps in sand.

scissors

Likes Bikes
Yeah, i think that if you cover it in dirt and then possibly plant some grass or something similar if you feel you need to, rocks wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mojo

Likes Dirt
i have found a wicked 15 foot stepdown off an old lookout but its onto sand, im guessing i should just wait for a good session of rain before riding it??? cant think of anything else, at kleast the sand will stop me softly if i come unstuck, might try carpet though