Dear god, I'm going to cop it for this...

moorey

call me Mia
So public humiliation forced your hand? Resisted the temptation of the dark side? The force is strong in you, young one.
I swear, I tried to like it. Was prepared to eat humble pie.
Did 120km on it over 4 days, then jumped back on the old chumba, expecting it to feel like a slug, and immediately knew it was the right choice for me.
1kg is nothing to me, I've ridden my 222 on 70km trail rides and not thought it that much harder.

The the first ride I took it on was a 20km hilly loop with my 9yo boy, and it felt like I was flying, but when I followed my mates on the regular Sunday loop, I constantly felt like I was struggling to keep up with guys I normally have to wait for.

As as I said earlier, either bike I would have finished or failed on.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Flats. Check.
aluminium. Check.
26". Check.
Extra bike weight for ballast. Check.
Poor preparation. Check.

:woot:
Heck Yeah! You're ready. Just remember it's ok if they beat you on the ups if you stomp them on the downs.

stirk

Burner
Good choice Moorey, after 4 into the 6 hours you'll be glad to be on a well known and trusted bike not something unfamiliar.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Good choice Moorey, after 4 into the 6 hours you'll be glad to be on a well known and trusted bike not something unfamiliar.
I reckon after 4 hours constant on anything you'd be reasonably familiar with it.

stirk

Burner
I reckon after 4 hours constant on anything you'd be reasonably familiar with it.
Familiarity can be negative, for example the bike might develop issues such as shifter cable stretch and skipping gears or you just might not be comfortable on it, you'll be familiar with it but not in a good way.

moorey

call me Mia
Familiarity can be negative, for example the bike might develop issues such as shifter cable stretch and skipping gears or you just might not be comfortable on it, you'll be familiar with it but not in a good way.
1. Cable stretch is a fallacy
2. If only there was some sort of barrel on the shifter...to adjust such things.... :noidea:

I know I'll be getting pretty wonky from fatigue after about the 4h mark. I don't reckon those last 2 hours are suited to a 5' man on a 6' tall bike.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
For any kind of distance stuff (I'm an attempted distance runner) comfort and familiarity are more important than anything else. Being not quite comfortable trying something new really can get to you when fatigue really sets in and can try to break you mentally.

Good decision going with what you know.

stirk

Burner
1. Cable stretch is a phallacy
2. If only there was some sort of barrel on the shifter...to adjust such things.... :noidea:

I know I'll be getting pretty wonky from fatigue after about the 4h mark. I don't reckon those last 2 hours are suited to a 5' man on a 6' tall bike.
Ah yes I have used said barrel adjusting thing and completely ignored the fact an expert could adjust while riding, me I'd turn it the wrong way and make things worse or stack cause I only had one hand on the bar!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Ah yes I have used said barrel adjusting thing and completely ignored the fact an expert could adjust while riding, me I'd turn it the wrong way and make things worse or stack cause I only had one hand on the bar!
Surely you can twizzle a knob whilst still covering the bars

C.Forsyth

Likes Bikes
I swear, I tried to like it. Was prepared to eat humble pie.
Did 120km on it over 4 days, then jumped back on the old chumba, expecting it to feel like a slug, and immediately knew it was the right choice for me.
1kg is nothing to me, I've ridden my 222 on 70km trail rides and not thought it that much harder.

The the first ride I took it on was a 20km hilly loop with my 9yo boy, and it felt like I was flying, but when I followed my mates on the regular Sunday loop, I constantly felt like I was struggling to keep up with guys I normally have to wait for.

As as I said earlier, either bike I would have finished or failed on.
Normally have to wait for ?? Are you riding with another bunch of guys we don't know about.