Defence Force

s_govers01

Likes Dirt
I am creating this thread that is open to discussion, opinions and the like about the Defence Force.

I am hoping that people who would participate in this thread would most likely be past, present or future servicemen and women. Even those who have or had no intention of joining but are loyal Aussies who like to voice their opinion are more than welcome to join in too.

As I am at the stage where I have begun seriously choosing what I wish to do with my life I have come to the conclusion of a Clearance Diver in the Navy. Failing that I would also like to become a Pilot in the RAAF or go somewhere along the lines of Armour in the Army.

Now if anyone has any experience in these fields or would like to ask some questions regarding other unmentioned parts or the ADF feel free to post.

I personally really appreciate if anyone could assist me with preparing for becoming a Clearance Diver and would also like to hear from others hoping to become one.

Join in guys and girls.

Pete.
I to have a passion to serve in the armed forces, either air force or army. navy just doesnt really tickle my fancy.
i would love to be a fighter pilot in the air force or a black hawk pilot in the pilot. but as they say. the options are endless!
good luck with your endeavours.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Just a few questions with the RAAF.
How long is the minimum time you have to spend as a pilot once trained?
And once that time is up is a pilot qualified to join QANTAS or Jetstar or Virgin? Its just i have heard rumours that pilots in the Airforce have to then go and get an ATPL before they can join an airline.
Whats the chances of a pilot having to go to Iraq? As in do they send the experienced pilots to war or do they send the less experienced to war?
Does it matter if you have a private pilots licence/Comercial pilots licence before you get trained in the airforce?
Whats the go with signing up when your in year 11. Do the RAAF see that your keen and give you better chances of getting in?
With the signing up in year 11. Can you pull out if you decide to do something else with your future?

Tim

And once that time is up is a pilot qualified to join QANTAS or Jetstar or Virgin? Its just i have heard rumours that pilots in the Airforce have to then go and get an ATPL before they can join an airline.
Whats the chances of a pilot having to go to Iraq? As in do they send the experienced pilots to war or do they send the less experienced to war?
Does it matter if you have a private pilots licence/Comercial pilots licence before you get trained in the airforce?
Whats the go with signing up when your in year 11. Do the RAAF see that your keen and give you better chances of getting in?
With the signing up in year 11. Can you pull out if you decide to do something else with your future?

Tim
Check out the defence force jobs website for period of service (how long you have to serve for).
I can't answer the second one about commercial airlines, but if extra training was needed atleast you already had experience.
I don't think there is too much warfare or need to send piloted aircraft into Iraq at the current stage. But I'd say they would send everyone they need into a battle as our defence force is quite small, they would need them all.
A private lisence would help as will some previous flight time, but they dont recommend it. They will teach you how to fly the way they want you to fly, so you may have to unlearn what you already know, which is harder than learning straight off.

As for the Yr11 stuff, a pilot is an officers job. Which will require you to complete year 12. And as pilots are popular they generally look at people with high enter scores.

You can start the enlistment process in Yr11 or once you are 17 but I don't know about pulling out if you chage your mind. I'd say they wouldn't let you. If I was you, I would wait until Yr 12 when you bare sure that its what you want to do for 5 years or whatever the minimum period of service is.

As I said, go have a look at the Defence Jobs website. It has tons of info. becoming a pilot in the RAAF is hard. Not physically but the competition and lack of available spots mean that when they say they only take the best, they mean it.

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Tim
Service period is between 11-14 years, depening.

Couldn't tell you about civi qual's, but if you're a fighter pilot, goodluck QANTAS etc wanting you as a 747 pilot, those sports go to the 70 boys, and will be ex MRTT and AWAC once they have finished their time. Flying a civi aircraft for military is easier to become civi pilot then flying a fighter.

Again, depends on aircraft type. If you end up as a Hornet/Super Hornet/JSF you won't be flying much. Our Hornets did a brief stint a few years ago, but nothing major. Hercs from 37SQN are currently on a rotating shift in Iraq, fly in fly out non-stop and the Globemasters from 36SQN are also doing alot of trips. As far as I'm aware the Orion is still meant to be operational for another 7 years. As for experience, you have ATLEAST 4 years of training before you're even qualified to fly exercise, so don't worry. You get deployed, its your job, if you're worried about that, don't sign up.

No, my mate got rejected for among other things, having TOO many hours up already, having learnt alot of bad habits that are hard to break as the style of flight between military pilots and civi pilots differs GREATLY.

And finally, no. Signing up in year 11 doesn't earn you brownie points. They have thousands of applications for pilots a year amongst other jobs, having one person sign up in year 11 doesn't make them choose you more. If anything, dont. I had a few 17 year olds on my courses, too immature without life experience to be doing it IMO. Make sure it's what you want, it's not a job you can muck around in such as others. Once you get involved in SQN life and start to assimilate into the base, you find out your limits and what you can and can't do and life becomes a whole lot more relaxed. Just don't fuck around during basic and employment training or you'll be out on your arse. And as for pulling out, only if you have a legitimate reason, aka your a skitz. And in that case, they'll kick you out. Like I said, make sure it is what you want to do with your life before you go signing up.

Also, you know that IF you get accepted as a pilot, you don't get to choose your aircraft type as simply as passing and going "I want to fly Hornets" It's all based on a ranking system, Dux in class gets priority, same as everything. You can work your way to being a fighter pilot, but ONE mistake and you're back to your old SQN.

Binaural

Eats Squid

Tim
It seems to be that you really want to be a pilot, and are actually pretty indifferent to joining the RAAF. I'd suggest that if you want to be a commercial pilot, your best bet is to train as one from the beginning and forget about joining the military.

Also Tim, make sure you have a legitimate reason as to why you want to become a pilot. If they ask you, and you say "I want to fly" they will most likely disregard you.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys.
Well I have a few years before i am old enough to join. 11 years is a long time though. You could become a Captain in that time. Its just with the RAAF im saving myself $150k on training.
Going back to the 11 year service period. Dad is a engineer at Qantas and has spoken to a few second officers on the 747's and A380's who are in mid 20's and have been in the Airforce. Have they changed the service in the Airfore recently or is there some way around it? (Im not trying to say spending heaps of time in the Airforce is a bad thing).

Ivan

Eats Squid
Thanks for the info guys.
Well I have a few years before i am old enough to join. 11 years is a long time though. You could become a Captain in that time. Its just with the RAAF im saving myself $150k on training.
I went through pilot selection with a guy who planned to become a commercial pilot after his time was up with the Air Force. He seemed to everyone else to be the perfect candidate - school dux, ultra fit and coordinated, and great work ethic. During the first round of interviews, they found out that he wanted to become a commercial pilot later in life, and he never made it any further in the selection process. You will be asked a lot of questions during selection, and they are good at determining what your motives are in applying.

Unless you are 100% committed to serving in the military and being a military pilot (this includes blowing shit up and being shot at), you have a marginal chance of being selected, and an even smaller chance of completing the training. To me, it sounds like your not, you're just looking for some free flight training, and the chance to fly some fast jets.

Save yourself time and a lot of stress and just become a commercial pilot if that's what you want. I have three friends who have become commercial pilots, and all three like there jobs.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a dig...

The 2015 White Paper was meant to come out in August, but I can't seem to find it (or anything discussing it). Am I looking in the wrong areas, or has it just not been released yet?