Defending champion Matherhopes to take home second consecutive title

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
A major challenge for the 2011 Australian Mountain Bike Marathon Championship jersey awaits defending champion, Ben Mather as he takes on some of the nation’s best endurance riders at the Mt Joyce Escape Mountain Bike Park in Queensland this Sunday April 17.

The Tasmanian rider will be among more than 750 competitors set to take on some of the most demanding climbs and unforgiving trails at the 80km course - the Marathon Championships being the first event to showcase the new venue.

Mather, twenty-nine spearheaded the charge to win the the hotly contested 2010 Nemisis Australian Mountain Bike Marathon Championships in Avoca, Victoria last April. Mather made a bold move to go out hard securing an extended lead on the field in the early stages of the race which he held to the finish line.

Mather holds high hopes that he has what it takes to take out his second consecutive Australian Marathon Championships title while battling tough rivalry on the new and unfamiliar terrain.

“The new course itself is a little unknown and I’m not too sure what to expect. The combination of the poor weather conditions forecast and the unfamiliar terrain could prove very challenging for myself and the other riders - it will be interesting to see how it plays out,” he said.

“In terms of my fitness, I am feeling good. I wouldn’t say that I am in peak form but I think I’ve got a good chance at being on the leaders board in the final stages.”

“It would be nice to take out the title once again but being realistic, there is a strong field going into the race and I know they will be tough to beat.”

“Peter Hatton in particular is riding very well and is in exceptional form coming off the back of a good performance in the Cape Epic Africa Mountain Bike race. Dylan Cooper is another favourite to beat and I know those boys will contest with very good form in their legs.”

Mather will face strong opposition in the elite men’s event from the likes of 2010/11 Jayco Australian Mountain Bike Series silver medalist Aiden Lefmann (QLD), 2010 Nemisis Australian Mountain Bike Marathon runner up Peter Hatton (NSW), Dylan Cooper (ACT) and Neil Van Der Ploeg (Tawonga).

In the open women’s event, 2010 Nemisis Australian Mountain Bike Marathon champion Heather Logie (ACT) won’t be returning to defend her title leaving an open field of prospects seeking victory.

The Canberra rider is taking a short break from the bike and will return to competition later in the year when in optimal form.

Therefore, it’s anyone’s race with 2010/11 Jayco Australian Mountain Bike Series runner up, Jenni King (Ringwood) Terri Rhodes (SA) and Niki Fisher (Ivanhoe) amongst the mix of top contenders to take home the jersey.

Regardless of the victor, with a challenging course and a red-hot field across all events, the 2011 Australian Mountain Bike Marathon Championship is sure to make for an enthralling showcase of competition amongst Australia’s elite.

In addition, a KIDS Mini Marathon will be held on a purposely built mini course on Sunday from 10am (registration from 9am) at the finish area whilst the Championship Marathon is taking place. The mini marathon is a chance for kids to get out there and learn new cross country skills on world class terrain. Entries are $15 and every rider who attends receives a participation license and medal. (Please note there will be no placing or results this is a participation event only)

Note: Mt Joyce Escape Recreation Park is located at Wyaralong, between Beaudesert and Boonah in South East QLD. Free entry for spectators but request a gold coin donation to the Flood Appeal.

2011 Australian Mountain Bike Marathon Championship – event schedule

Full Marathon (80km) female - 7.45am
Full Marathon (80km) male - 8.15am
Half Marathon (40km) male & female - 9am