Deleting internet explorer?

'Ross

Eats Squid
Just wondering if there is an obvious way to get rid of internet explorer, I use firefox and explorer always gets popup viruses and the like....I usually find them and delete them, but the latest one is hanging around and very annoying. Nobody who uses the computer has a use for explorer, I think its time to go.

Im on vista, whenever I attempt to delete it in any way it says I don't have permission, how do I get around this?

galumay

Likes Bikes
Its very hard but not impossible, go to a forum like Overclockers and do a search there. It may have undesired consequences also. You may remember the euro anti-trust cases against M$ which were based around the fact that up until W7, IE shipped as part of the configuration of the OS and was not really a separate, removable browser or program like other operating systems used. The euro's decided this was anti-competitive because it effectively prevented users from choosing to use another browser.

It may be better just to disable it as much as possible.

Basically once you have picked a browser you want to use, and I would recommend Safari or Chrome as two of the better ones, then at least make them your default browser and remove any shortcuts to IE - that should improve things.

Give consideration to making the upgrade to W7 as your OS too, Vista really was a dog and even with my Apple bias, I reckon W7 has come a hell of a long way in closing the gap.

Also consider running Microsoft Security Essentials as your AV, its quietly revolutionised the AV scene for MS boxes, no one wants to talk about it in the industry because its free, light and good - and not made by a 3rd party!

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a way on XP, but I havent really seen (or used) vista/7 enough to see it. It's was in the remove Windows comonents under the "Add/remove programs" window, or something like that

willsy01

Eats Squid
There are quite a few things that rely on IE to run......Windows Update is one of them.

Leave it there....just don't use it.

udi

swiss cheese
Just wondering if there is an obvious way to get rid of internet explorer, I use firefox and explorer always gets popup viruses and the like....I usually find them and delete them, but the latest one is hanging around and very annoying. Nobody who uses the computer has a use for explorer, I think its time to go.

Im on vista, whenever I attempt to delete it in any way it says I don't have permission, how do I get around this?
It's complicated and probably not worth it... a good work around is to set a fake proxy in IE (any ip will do - 0.0.0.0), it will usually kill most of the junk that runs through it. However if you use msn for example, you'll need to temporarily enable IE (disable proxy) for it to sign in.

The last time I had a spyware nightmare I used AVG antivirus to clean it up (after trying numerous other programs and failing)... so I'd recommend trying that. Worst case scenario just back up your stuff and reformat.

Workarounds for viruses/spyware are always a waste of time (eg. disabling/removing IE) and at the end of the day you're just going to have to get rid of the problem at the source.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Thanks guys, I think you are on the money deleting IE is a bit of an overreaction, Ill get AVG again (had it on my old computer) and download those programs Jon suggested and see how that goes.

galumay

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, I think you are on the money deleting IE is a bit of an overreaction, Ill get AVG again (had it on my old computer) and download those programs Jon suggested and see how that goes.
As I suggested earlier, have a look at Microsoft Security Essentials before you bother getting AGV or any other 3rd party AV software. Its really all you need.

'Ross

Eats Squid
^^^I think this guy is onto a winner, a couple of anti-spyware programs did nothing but Microsoft Security Essentials seems to have worked! Haven't had a pop up since. thanks a lot!