Denting rims

Lace up a DT Swiss ex471 or ex511, go tubeless and then you won't have to worry about being smooth.
Thanks for that, yeah the 511 seems to have good reviews. Will try one, go tubeless and get a decent pressure gauge that works, hopefully that will cover all bases.

Hopefully that will buy me sometime to get smoother out there.

Some tracks I just can’t find a “smooth” way down!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep totally different you’re right but amongst the “groomed single track” there are still plenty of opportunities for rim smashing. Just saying I’m a hack and I don’t dint those rims where I have others.
I rode a heap of stuff at Rotorua on 24 spoke xt wheels, xc tyres and weigh 95kg. I wasn't fast and only hit drops up to about 2 foot but I still made it down grade 4 trails without breaking anything.. What helped was having a local bloke riding in front so we could follow his line. He was so smooth and knew the trails inside out..
Suppose if the op is smashing down blindly hucking into messy rooty sections then maybe downhill tyres/rims are more suitable..

I rode a heap of stuff at Rotorua on 24 spoke xt wheels, xc tyres and weigh 95kg. I wasn't fast and only hit drops up to about 2 foot but I still made it down grade 4 trails without breaking anything.. What helped was having a local bloke riding in front so we could follow his line. He was so smooth and knew the trails inside out..
Suppose if the op is smashing down blindly hucking into messy rooty sections then maybe downhill tyres/rims are more suitable..
?

Do you ride really still and rigid? You may benefit from softening up your body a little.
Yep mate I recon that’s a big part, I try to stay relaxed, I am way better than I used to be but when it starts getting steep with roots I kind of get all tight again. Basically just point and shoot, crash and burn style.

Maybe I should just watch a few others how they get down see if that sheds any light.

I recon a year on a hard tail would get me moving my legs properly.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You'll also be a few inches shorter after a year like that. You need to learn how to skip your bike across shit.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Yep mate I recon that’s a big part, I try to stay relaxed, I am way better than I used to be but when it starts getting steep with roots I kind of get all tight again. Basically just point and shoot, crash and burn style.

Maybe I should just watch a few others how they get down see if that sheds any light.

I recon a year on a hard tail would get me moving my legs properly.
I reckon it takes a while to find a good ‘attack position’ I was standing up too tall and not able to move the bike around properly and ‘skip across shit’.

You really notice it when you get right down in a good position, have a good centre of gravity and can move the bike around under you.

Takes a bit of strength and fitness to maintain the right position for a long time though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon it takes a while to find a good ‘attack position’ I was standing up too tall and not able to move the bike around properly and ‘skip across shit’.

You really notice it when you get right down in a good position, have a good centre of gravity and can move the bike around under you.

Takes a bit of strength and fitness to maintain the right position for a long time though.
Get down low and go go go, you know when the bike's right it just dances underneath you and don't need to work really hard to get over stuff fast. Ride some pump tracks really fast and you'll get that loose feel to absorb with your legs and arms.

Get down low and go go go, you know when the bike's right it just dances underneath you and don't need to work really hard to get over stuff fast. Ride some pump tracks really fast and you'll get that loose feel to absorb with your legs and arms.
Yeah I’m building one at the mo in the back yard for that purpose exactly.

I know that loose feeling when I get it, the biggest issue is my strength, I can’t maintain a good low position for long.

I am hoping a pump track will build the right muscles I need.

Thanks for all the good advice lads, will stop blaming the bike and fix the real issue!!

Z

Zaf

Straight back, bent legs, ankles dropped, prancing cat!

Literally said that (in my head) for about a month to put myself into position properly! I also drop my seat slightly and make sure I'm pedaling with dropped ankles as well, running flats helps re-train this one, because if you try and lift the rear of a bike, on flats with pointed toes, you jump of the pedals and look like a complete spanner. Gotta scoop it.