Dents

Ozzy321

Likes Dirt
hey yes most of us i think hate them. Dents, i have a dented top tube and i'm not too happy. does any one have a idea or know how do get rid of them. Are there any tools etc.

all help is appreciated
cheers

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
If it's purely a cosmetic issue.... leave it or body filler and re-paint (or just cover with a sticker).

If it's structural damage.... depends on frame material and exact location of the dent. Options include replacing the tube (expensive and almost always NOT practical) or external sleeving.

indica

Serial flasher
I had a dented down tube, and after a really heavy crash the frame folded at that point.

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
what frame is it and where is the dent located
also what is it made of steel, aluminium , ti ,alloy??

Tomas

my mum says im cool
God i cant begin to tell you the multitude of reasons why it wont work.

Its called Bondo, Bog, 2pac filler, automotive bodywork filler etc. etc. from AutoOne. Its not that hard to do, easy to get good results from.

Then respray.

Grip, can you powdercoat a bike with filler on it?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Unfortunately not a hope. Unlike a car panel (which is basically flat sheet metal), the radius of a frame's tube makes it VERY stiff. Not only that... but if the dent could be pulled out in some way the grain structure of the metal would be so adversely affected that it would probably be better (for the integrity of the frame) to leave the dent in there.

Grip, can you powdercoat a bike with filler on it?
Unfortunately (as above) not a hope :). We've looked all over the world and can't find a filler that will actually work with powdercoating and hold up to the baking temps. We've found a few that SAY they do... and we've even imported some to give them a try, but even with our low-temp, short-stay bake procedure they are still as useless as tits on a bull.

Bottom line is... cosmetic dents can be filled and WET sprayed, filled and covered with a sticker... covered by some form of glue-on decorative metal patch... or left. Structural dents usually need some form of sleeve and then the paint can be touched up (wet spray) or the entire frame powdercoated.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do either of you understand the theory behind freezing the water in the frame?

It wouldn't work IMO because as the freezing water expands, the pressure of this expansion would be directed out of the place you filled the frame with water from, instead of pushing a dent out. And the expansion probably wouldn't be strong enough anyway.

***disclaimer: I have no idea if this is true or not, it's just the way I see it happening. I therefore may not be called a twat for making this post.

Last edited:

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Force required to push a dent in = Loads. Alloy is thick and tempered.
Force required to push a dent out = even more than pushing it in.

Fill it.

henryg

Likes Dirt
I heard round the traps that it is possible to tig a length of filler rod or two to the dent and then pull the dent out with the attached rod..

then simply cut and file smooth.

probably BS or only works with thin walled alloy frames.

Neon

Likes Dirt
my friend got a dint in the top tube from him smacking him balls/gooch on it.
sorry for the irrelevance.