derailleur cable

Dirt n Street

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
well today while i was at school one of my younger brothers friends rode my bike without permsission. not only this but he changed the gears (im assuming whilst not pedalling) and its stretched the cable and ruined the tuning of the gears. i cant find it on tbsm so does anyone know the roundabouts price of derailleur cable and getting one tuned? dont need the exact just an estimate of how much i need.

thanks!

Last edited:

Jimass

Eats Squid
Well my LBS didn't charge me... Probable because of the cash I spent with him in the past few weeks.. Try a grand..

I reckon about 10-20 bucks, it's not hard.

T-Rex

Template denier
hey guys,
well today while i was at school one of my younger brothers friends rode my bike without permsission. not only this but he changed the gears (im assuming whilst not pedalling) and its stretched the cable and ruined the tuning of the gears. i cant find it on tbsm so does anyone know the roundabouts price of derailleur cable and getting one tuned? dont need the exact just an estimate of how much i need.

thanks!
A cable is about $10, and it will take a bike shop about 5 minutes to change it and adjust the cable tension so it changes gears nicely.

However, before you go charging off to the bike shop, you should have a good look over the cable and housing, as it's pretty hard (unlikely) to stretch a cable just by changing gears. Check if the cable has moved in the pinch bolt on the derailleur, or if the barrel adjuster(s) has moved. Adjusting the cable tension so the gears change nicely is pretty straightforward, you should try it yourself, just flip the bike upside down and fiddle with the barrel adjuster and line the derailleur up with a cog on the casette while turning the cranks by hand. Once you've lined up one cog, the indexing in the shifter takes care of the rest, and it should change all gears smoothly, UNLESS:

You might also check if the derailleur has copped a hit courtesy of your brother's mate and been bent out of alignment. Straightning it out properly is a lbs job, but it's only a 5 minute job, so they shouldn't charge you much.

Dirt n Street

Likes Dirt
cheers for the quick replies. yeah i did try fiddling with the tuning myself but it is really out of alignment. i havent tried looking at the shifter i might try that. even then ill just take it to the LBS just to get them to give it a run over as im not the greatest when it comes to gear problems.

once again thanks for quick replies.