derailleur Length?

james1

Likes Dirt
Hey,
Looking at buying a sram X0 derailleur and not sure if a shirt cage will work?
I have a 38t up the front and a 11-28 on the back. Im running a shimano saint at the moment.
Will a saint shifter work with a sram derailleur? And does the sram shifter make it work better?
thanks

Hard and fast

Likes Dirt
Hey Mate

The Saint Shifter with X0 deraillure wont work because I think Shimano run a 2:1 ratio where as Sram run a 1:1 ratio.

Meaning if you want a X0 deraillure you will have to buy a shifter as well,
Also Saint is much better in the strength department and is cheaper if it does get broken.

Cheers

james1

Likes Dirt
Well i have a saint and its bent so it doesnt change well. So should i get a saint again or a sram?
thanks

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Depending where its bent, you can try and bend it back. (If its the cage for example)
Otherwise, just go for the saint, XO is bling but they are super expensive to replace when they die. Having said that, my XO did last me 2 years of riding before I retired it to my 4x bike where is promptly shat itself.

james1

Likes Dirt
so....Will a sram X0 short cage fit my gearing? And im buying second hand, is this a bad idea?
thanks

nskz

Likes Dirt
Well I see your options are; a) buy a new saint derailleur b) buy a SRAM shifter and derailleur. Option b, particularly if you go SRAM X0 is going to be considerably more expensive.

Personally having run both i'd just get another Saint. They are stronger and are super tucked under meaning far less chance of being bent in a crash. I also wouldn't buy a deraileur second hand, it's the sort of thing you want in good nick or it can get mighty frustrating.

And yes a SRAM X0 would fit your gearing with a SRAM shifter, won't work with a saint as above.