Derby in Tassi

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
There's a few bokes employed by the council to maintain the trails, not sure how many these days. Cuddles is new since the last time I was there.

Pirate ? The trails there are closely monitored and there is enough good stuff that there is no need. A few years back I got a mouthful from a local shop 'guide' for riding up Rusty Crusty or Sawtooth, he was getting quite agro demanded I turn around and ride back down immediately, he got politely told to f#%k off as I was looking for a 10yr old who didn't make it down behind us. Good luck building some unsanctioned trails there ;)
I dunno man, I rode there once for 4 days in 2017 and I don’t think much new has popped up since. There’s no real reason to go back from a riding perspective if there’s no new trails.

Pirate trails are the life of riding.

the politics in that town will be the end of the riding scene.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Plus Deadly Bugger, Hazy Dayz, the whole group of trails around Derby Lake, the Derby to Branxholm connector (ok not really a MTB track, more of a gravel ride) and the Blue Tier to Swimcart Beach descent. There's probably some more I've missed.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'll be heading over in a few weeks' time with my brother and a few of his mates from Canberra. I'll be interested to see how it was going. It was still pretty pumping in November last year.

Shit, did an old people thing. It was end of 2019, and the scene of the worlds biggest nosedive on AYG.
View attachment 407000

I’m pretty sure those trails (except cuddles) were all built by then.
Detonate, Shearpin, Trouty, Kingswall, AYG, Kumma Gutza, Roxanne were all in by 2019 as most were built for the 2019 EWS. Cuddles was only finished last year. The Lake Derby, Wochya-Upta, Valley Ponds, Turbo Tunnel, and Bay of Fires have all been completed in the last few years.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
I was up there for a week at the end of January. Trails were in great condition. It was pretty quiet but all the operators said it was pumping the week before.

I feel for the locals. It must be super hard to run a small business up there. We are pretty self sufficient when we visit (camping, self catering, riding up) but I am making more of an effort to spread some money around each time we visit.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I'll be heading over in a few weeks' time with my brother and a few of his mates from Canberra. I'll be interested to see how it was going. It was still pretty pumping in November last year.

Detonate, Shearpin, Trouty, Kingswall, AYG, Kumma Gutza, Roxanne were all in by 2019 as most were built for the 2019 EWS. Cuddles was only finished last year. The Lake Derby, Wochya-Upta, Valley Ponds, Turbo Tunnel, and Bay of Fires have all been completed in the last few years.
Yeah I think that’s it. 5 other trails have been put in over the last 4 years in what was tipped as an Aus riding paradise. Integrating it as a day ride into a Maydena / south Hobart trip would probably be the go.

Stredda

I do wonder how sustainable the whole MTB growth in big trails networks is. Can't build new trails forever, there's got to be a saturation point to where there's not enough riders to make them viable.
I feel that in Tassie, we are kind of there now. I think there needs to be more focus on small, local trail networks, close to where people live. Every town should have a riding area. Doesn't need to be huge, just 5 to 10km of trail. This is where grass roots mountain biking will bloom, and these are the future MTB tourists. Places like Derby and Maydena don't actually have a local scene, it is the place you go after you are already hooked.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I think there needs to be more focus on small, local trail networks, close to where people live.
I think that's where Adelaide / SA shines. Lots of stuff littered all through the foothills to the South East where you can catch a train to Lynton and have a huge network of options. Closer to the city around Mt Lofty doesn't have quite as many trails (still heaps though) but is all rideable from the CBD.

Stredda

I think that's where Adelaide / SA shines. Lots of stuff littered all through the foothills to the South East where you can catch a train to Lynton and have a huge network of options. Closer to the city around Mt Lofty doesn't have quite as many trails (still heaps though) but is all rideable from the CBD.
The Wild Mersey, Penguin, St Helens, Meehan, Glenorchy, South Hobart, Kelcey Tiers, Kate Reed, Trevallyn, here in Tassie are all good examples of local trails that locals ride. It's where you cut your teeth and discover mountain biking.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
You can do that to in Sydney. Catch a train to Sutherland and ride all the way down to Mt Kiera. With alot of trails and train stations on the way.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I do wonder how sustainable the whole MTB growth in big trails networks is. Can't build new trails forever, there's got to be a saturation point to where there's not enough riders to make them viable.
Its the nature of human activity boom and bust.

Of course it will get saturated and Im afraid Tassie will be less appealing when more decent tracks are built on the mainland ,its not as though there is anything super unique in Tassie and its a man made product essentially.
The whole triple the property prices in 3 years , start AirBNB is a recipe for disaster, a bit like a Ponzi scheme where the last one to leave gets burnt.
Our town is a bit expensive and staff are a limiting factor.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I feel that in Tassie, we are kind of there now. I think there needs to be more focus on small, local trail networks, close to where people live. Every town should have a riding area. Doesn't need to be huge, just 5 to 10km of trail. This is where grass roots mountain biking will bloom, and these are the future MTB tourists. Places like Derby and Maydena don't actually have a local scene, it is the place you go after you are already hooked.
Theres still scope for more mtb tourism, especially when there's other stuff to do there *cough* Cairns ffs pull your finger out your arses!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Theres still scope for more mtb tourism, especially when there's other stuff to do there *cough* Cairns ffs pull your finger out your arses!
Get stung by jelly fish? Bitten by a croc?;) On a serious note with Crankworks and hosting DH races I’m surprided there isn’t more happening in Carins. Wasn’t there supposed to be some ‘Epic’ trail loop built by world trail?

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Get stung by jelly fish? Bitten by a croc?;) On a serious note with Crankworks and hosting DH races I’m surprised there isn’t more happening in Cairns. Wasn’t there supposed to be some ‘Epic’ trail loop built by world trail?
Yeah it's all just fucking talk and no action - they tried to raise $35,000 from riders to build new trails and only managed to scrape $10,000. Our social group has 900 members, if each of them threw in $30 (which I did) then we'd be around 4/5 of the way there!

They asked council and Government for a grant to build out the trails as a Blue Derby type venture on the back of positive coverage of Crankworx and World Cups, but only managed to get a low five figures to make a feasibility study.

There's some absolutely clueless fucking idiots working in these places that have no clue what the words momentum or coverage mean but they're happy to keep slapping millions to woo people to swim at the reef. I think most people know it exists by now, why not invest and diversify a bit?

Stredda

Whats going on in Derby ?

Missus just headed out of Launceston to do a drive, have lunch in Derby and show her mum around some of the places we have stayed and show her how the town has transformed, she ended up going to Bridport as nothing was open. Reckons the place was completely dead, beautiful weather and only seen 2 people on bikes.

Dorset not doing meals, Derby Pit-Stop for sale, garage for sale, MadMTB building for sale, the Hub pizza joint for sale, Derby Lodge for sale and the new place called the Main Street closed for good a few days ago. Pinocchio's in Branxholm is also for sale. She says quite a few houses are up too :oops:

Still looking big bucks though.

View attachment 406977
Apparently Main Street Derby are doing some work to their kitchen. That why the are closed.
IMG_3464.jpeg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The staff kinda walked out because they weren't getting paid by the owners..
That would do it.

Apparently Main Street Derby are doing some work to their kitchen. That why the are closed.
New place is called 'Deck at 69'.