Design and Technology Project.

user name

Likes Dirt
Im in yr11 now and im doing D&T, i have been asked to think of something to make for my HSC project..i have had a few thoughts on what to make but i cant really decide on them..
I think a Dual front disk brake system for mtbs would be quite sick...but i realise i would nee forks to match, thus being quite difficult im guessing

Any way what do you surgest needs designing and building, with the exception of price and time and skill...I CAN BUILD ANYTHIN, from any material.
Thanks, Rory.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Maybe just try a standard hub. Or a stem. New chain guide system, seatpost with propper clamps and all that would be very very cool, and original.

Otherwise, a bike stand, workstand type thing maybe?

Rik

logged out
NSW D&T focuses on innovation and problem solving more than it does workmanship, doesn't it? Therefore you should find a problem and work around that.

Dim

Spirit Distributions
NSW D&T focuses on innovation and problem solving more than it does workmanship, doesn't it? Therefore you should find a problem and work around that.

Correct!
I did a Multimedia helmet that involved a video camera, speakers etc. went shit cause it wasnt an innovation and it didnt solve any problems

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Im in yr11 now and im doing D&T, i have been asked to think of something to make for my HSC project..i have had a few thoughts on what to make but i cant really decide on them..
I think a Dual front disk brake system for mtbs would be quite sick...but i realise i would nee forks to match, thus being quite difficult im guessing

Any way what do you surgest needs designing and building, with the exception of price and time and skill...I CAN BUILD ANYTHIN, from any material.
Thanks, Rory.
I'll paraphrase, without trying to be an asshole:
Can someone give me an invention/innovation for my DT major work, removing the only section of individual thought in the project.

Perhaps asking if anyone has any problems with gear? Any issues they've had with bike parts?

If you want to do well, answer questions yourself. dont look for answers in the begining. Thinks concepts, not products. Questions first, answer in a long process of design development.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Its already kinda been suggested, but keeping in the theme of problem solving:

Try to create a device that will keep your chain tense, stop it falling off and eliminate chain slap. In other words build your own chain guide. This will keep with the problem solving aspect whilst you will be able to build something useful and practical:)

kyleman

Likes Dirt
The dual front disk could work very easily(i think). Make/mould whatever a peice of metal to the same shape as the disk mounts on the original side of the forks and weld it on. Also make two other little circular holes further up to run the seperate cables through.
As for the hub.. Maybe you could just put an extra pit of solid metal on the other side of the hub and drill holes in it for the rotor?
But hey its just all ideas.. YOU HAVE TO BE INNOVATIVE PEOPLE!! hehe

Design your own frame?
Bike rack/holder/stand?
Adjustable stem?
A derailuer hanger that is like connected to the frame or something...
Maybe a hanger that sits behind the cassete to prevent banging around..
Just make sure you tell me if you use any of these:D
Oh and...we want pictures of the finished product.:p