Despite the risk of deletion

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
ulay said:
fair enough u got it bout right this time. 17

as for ur age......i really dont have a clue. 25-30??? no idea really just wat i'd gues the range to be
LOL! I thought you were going to say 80 for sure!

32... Not a bad guess...

ulay

Squid
lupine128 said:
don't know how old you are, don't care.
my best friend is gay and i will not insult him by using the word gay as a derogatory term just because i can't be bothered to think of something else.
i also won't let others near me do the same.
if it makes you feel better you can try thinking of it as the thin end of the wedge.
if the word gay is OK as a generally negative term, what about faggot, or nigger?
which do you stop at?
simple, you stop at the first case, and ensure others do as well.
follow the rules laid down in this forum and you don't have any problems. if it means that you have to burn out a few brain cells thinking of a better word to use, so be it.
how exactly r u going to stop those around u using those terms?? its too commonly used and accepted....u can't stop it being used. faggot is a little worse than just gay but not much, its pretty common too. I think most ppl would know where to stop and those that dont will probably realise when they over step the mark or at least i hope they would. there is no way that u can ENSURE others stop using words that you dont like. if i was a good mate of urs and knew u didnt like it, sure i might stop using it around u but if i have no idea who u r and, which i dont, i would use the word "gay" and "fag" around u for sure and there isnt a whole lot u can do about it. stand up for what u believe and stuff but dont think u can go round changing everybody u meet just so that they fit in with u.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how you stop people from speaking like that?
easy, the last time i threw him in the lake at the botanical gardens. i had asked him nicely to refrain from comments like that, he didn't listen.
i personally have problem breaking the nose of an ignorant if they are to stupid to stop once they have been asked nicely (and i always ask nicely first).
"excuse me, i would prefer that you didn't use gay as method of saying you don't like something. I'm sure you can think of something better".
polite, to the point, and i only ask once.
you think faggot is "only a little worse"?
people who are gay are routinely bashed by closed minded idiots who think that there is something wrong with the life choices made by gay people. comments like faggot only ensure that the mind set that goes with it continues.
only 3 years ago a good friend of mine was beaten to death by a group of 7 people aged 14-18. pretty sure none of them thought there was anything wrong with using faggot as a negative comment, especially as that was what they were shouting as they killed him.

roffle

Likes Dirt
If practically everyone was gay, would you get offended if someone called you straight? I don't think I would.. that's just my opinion though.
Please don't mention the fact that it is impossible.

I can see what you mean Lupine, but it's a term that is in common use now. I don't agree with it but it's not like I can stop people saying it. I know quite a few gay people and they don't mind being called gay at all, or when we make gay jokes around them. They actually join in.. I know it's said in a jocular fashion and it's a vastly different scenario to the screaming and bashing you have described, and I really disagree with that, although I believe there are different forms.

I know I'm guilty of saying "Oh man that's so gay" on more than one occasion. It's when you incorporate hatred into it that it becomes a problem..

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
true that it's in common usage, but thats only because no-one stops it.
took an act of legislation to make nigger a word that was unused.
it's the attitude that goes behind it.
pretty much all the gay people i know are cool being called because they are.
it's the negative connotation that comes with the words being used to express disgust with a situation that causes the problems.
have a look at what some of the most prevalent derogatory terms were in Germany just prior to the holocaust.
and then call a Jew "kike" and see what happens.

roffle

Likes Dirt
But why get upset about it? why should we have to stop it being used? If the term is used to express anything other than mild agitation to utter contempt I can't see a problem with it, neither do the few gay friends I have. I agree that calling someone *purely an example* a stinking faggot is way out of line in any given situation, and this should be stopped, but.. Other than things like this, what is the problem? If gay people themselves are fine with it, why should we find it offensive?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
probably because it a mnemetic tool that causes subconscious associations to be made.
most gay people aren't OK with the gay and fag being in common usage for everything.
they don't mind being called gay, because they are, it's the other usages that cause problems.
still though, bottom line here in this forum is,
follow the rules or face the consequences.
simple.

wombat

Lives in a hole
roffle said:
I don't agree with it but it's not like I can stop people saying it.
You're right, there's not a whole lot that the individual can do to completely stop the wider use of the word in society, just as in reality we're never going to eliminate crime from our society. But does that mean the police should stop trying because "there's not really anything much they can do?".

In fact, I think that on the forums here, we have a better chance of eliminating the mis-use of these words, than the police have of eliminating crime, as the community is much smaller, and if someone is a repeat offender they can be banned, and eliminated from the equation; something which is much harder to accomplish in real life.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Lupine is right.

A place like Farkin where you can express opinions is great, and opinions about the rules are definitely welcome.

However, most of the rules in place work very well for Farkin and there aren't any plans in the near future to change them, especially ones that are (seemingly) easy to work with.

On that note, this thread is starting to bore the crap outta me, so I'll just leave it with this:

Enjoy Farkin! Have a great stay! But please follow the rules that have been established since the beginning.
If you find this too tough to do, or disagree too strongly with them, may I suggest some other fantastic MTB websites like NSMB.com, Pinkbike.com, HCOR.net, or any of the others we list on the front page.

I hear you can act however you like on Pinkbike, and nobody comes down on you! (well, that's a rumour actually...)

RCOH

Eats Squid
Ah, movies, is there anything they CAN'T teach you? :)

Alyssa: "So, your friend's quite the homophobe."
Holden: "Ah, he just feels left out, I think."
Alyssa: <chuckles> "I'm not talking about his infantile hangup with me, I'm talking about when you two were playing that game. Every time he swore when his players messed up, he called them 'c**ksuckers,' he referred to his players as 'faggots'—he called you a 'c**k-teaser.'"
Holden: <sarcastic> "Oh, I thought he was talking to you."
Alyssa: <chuckles again> "I know you think it means nothing, and it may, in fact, be unintentional, but it's ugly all the same."
Holden: "Ah, he was just pissed he was losing."
Alyssa: "So he slams the gay community."
Holden: "All right, now don't get all P.C. on me."
Alyssa: "I'm not! But what is that saying?"
Holden: <hesitates, shrugs> "It's saying he gets too easily frustrated."
Alyssa: "No, it's passive-aggressive gay-bashing."
Holden: "How do you figure that?"
Alyssa: "How easily did it roll off his tongue, you know? And that's how he expresses his anger? By calling people 'faggots'?"
Holden: "Alyssa, I think you're reading a little too much into this."
Alyssa: <laughs> "No, I think you're just so used to it, it rolls off your back. I've seen you two play your little rank-out game where one insists the other is gay. 'You're a faggot!' 'No, you're a faggot!' I mean, it's cute and all to watch you go at it like grade-schoolers, but it's also offensive. Labelling and ducking the label of being gay as if it were the scarlet f**king letter."
Holden: "I really think you're blowing this way out of proportion. I mean, we live in a more tolerant age now, right? You refer to yourself as a dyke. Hooper calls himself a faggot all the time."
Alyssa: "Yeah, but that's what's known as empowerment-disempowerment. I call myself a dyke so it's not too devastating when some throwbag screams it at me when I'm leaving a bar at night. It's the same for Hooper. By calling himself a faggot, he steals the thunder away from the mouthy jerks of this world who'd like to beat him to it. But the difference between us saying it, and your friend saying it, is miles wide. We say it to dull the pain, you know? He says it for lack of a better expression at any given moment. No, Holden, we do not live in a more tolerant age. And if you think that's the case, then you've been in the suburbs way too long."
[/b]

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
goddamn i love that movie.
but the last comments in the script section from RCOH pretty much say it all.

for the 7 of you who haven't seen this movie already, go see it. it's a great film, funny as hell, and you run a real risk of actually learning something.

and i might have known johnny would get the point :wink:

RCOH

Eats Squid
lupine128 said:
goddamn i love that movie.
but the last comments in the script section from RCOH pretty much say it all.

for the 7 of you who haven't seen this movie already, go see it. it's a great film, funny as hell, and you run a real risk of actually learning something.

and i might have known johnny would get the point :wink:
That scene is actually deleted from the movie and only available on DVD. But everyone should see the film anyway (& all of KS's films).

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you haven't seen "chasing amy", the 3rd kevin smith movie, then you have indeed missed something.
personal choice, but it's a toss up between chasing amy and dogma for "best rip at society" award, as far as i'm concerned.

RCOH

Eats Squid
But 'Clerks' wins hands down for best dialogue in a movie (imo).

edit: Jay & Silent Bob, I'm not even supposed to be here today, 37 dicks, contract workers on death star, caitlin & the asian design major, cigarettes & gum, hockey on the roof, Oleg the russian metal god, dead guy in the bathroom, funeral parlour, stupid customers (lupine I can see you cracking up at that section), snowballing etc, shit or get off the pot, etc. Classic.

(one of the) best lines: "It pays to do something worthwhile with your life, that's why I manually masturbate animals for artificial insemination".

Mallrats is also very funny, Chasing Amy is fantastic for realistically dealing with homophobia & relationships, Dogma is great rip at organised religion without being anti, while J&SBSB is just fun.

Sorry about OT rant, really love these movies :oops:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
S. said:
What about calling somebody "retarded"? Or "dumb"? Or a "moron"? Or an "idiot"? Or a "cretin"? ALL of those imply that being retarded, or mute, or 3 years old, or from Crete (yeah that's what "cretin" actually means) is bad. Yet nobody hesitates to use them, or to call someone a "choad" (which mocks those born with genital deformations). "Gay" has become such a widely used negative term that I fail to see how it's any worse than any other word that can be used. Like you said, "sucks" implies that fellatio is degrading. Who cares, we can all be PC nazis, or we can stop worrying about it and have one less problem in our lives.
Sorry but there is a difference. IDIOT is a noun (derived from the Greek word for ignorant or non-professional) and using it the way you're suggesting may be insulting, but it is still, nevertheless, actually being used CORRECTLY. The word MORON is also a noun (specifically one with arrested development at that of a "normal" child of approx 8-12 years of age) and again it may be insulting to use BUT use of it to describe such a person IS appropriate and correct. RETARDED and DUMB are of course adjectives, by which virtue the use of them to actually DESCRIBE something/someone is also totally correct.

The word GAY on the other hand is EITHER a noun meaning joyous, bright, social adept etc - and using it to describe something unpleasant/bad is therefore a TOTAL misuse of the word... OR it's an adjective used to describe a homosexual, which means using GAY to describe that unpleasant/bad thing is either a ridiculously incorrect use of language OR it's being done very purposefully because of the perceived association between homosexuality and unpleasant/bad things.

So don't fool yourselves... use of the word GAY in this context does nothing but expose the users predjudices and narrow mindedness.

Oh yeah... and like it or not Farkin has made a stand against its use here... and I for one say good on 'em.