Destroyed my XX1 derailleur... now what?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
i do like the status of having an XX1 derailleur.... but cant justify over twice the price....
would rather put that money towards carbon bars
Can't wait for the "snapped my carbon envy bars, should I replace or just use an old broom handle?" thread. :bananalama:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Jeffgre - there's not even a tiny increase of performance - no increase in performance, substantial increase in price

I'd rather be a hipster than a slave to Mtb group sets

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Wow, so you're saying:
GX = Dumb
XX1 = Intelligent

Frankenbike. Interesting concept. You do know on DH bikes a very standard approach for years has been to have X0 shifter with X9 derailleur. Do you want to know why? Because it costs less, and has exactly ZERO negative effect on performance. Are they all mismatched frankenbikes that have been dumbed down? No, its not dumbed down. I did it. Its called cost effectiveness, managing the same performance level for a reduced cost.

You know what? Most riders are concerned about the PERFORMANCE of their bikes, not being worried about their own perceived wank factor of every single component being of the same group level.
"Dumbed down" is just a turn of phrase mate to illustrate a point, don't take it literally.
I am well aware of bikes coming standard with mismatched components but your argument of comparing a DH bike with mismatched components doesn't stand up as that is they way they were released by the factory. The buyer had no option on parts choice unless they swapped out the bits post purchase.
Replacing an XX1 derailleur with a GX on a bike that came with a full XX1 group set is a different matter.
I think it is wrong and takes the edge off an otherwise superb bike, call it wank factor if you will, so be it.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you google it, there's an excellent review somewhere of The GX group set (perhaps blister gear review - I had a quick look on my phone but couldn't find it).

The review effectively pointed out that the main difference between the GX and more expensive options (X1, XO1, XX1) was that the body was cast as opposed to forged, which is cheaper manufacturing process but may come at the expense of strength. There is bugger all difference in weight.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer noted no difference in shift quality between XX1, XO1 and X1 derailleurs. However with GX there was a noticeable decrease in shift quality - less crisp and more difficult to set up. The suggestion was that there was no real performance or weight difference between GX and higher end group sets save for the derailleur.

Based on this I'd suggest going for an X1 derailleur. I'm looking at a drivetrain upgrade at the moment and will be getting a GX group set with an X1 derailleur.

John U

MTB Precision
From experience with 9 speed over the years you get better wear and good bang for buck by getting the higher/highest spec chain. Think the reviews of this SRAM gear recommended going with the higher spec chain. Similar used to apply to cassettes but going second from top so you weren't paying for titanium cogs.

poita

Likes Dirt
I'd probably opt for something a little flasher than gx, but that's just me.

On the replacement of like for like, I often find the bike I can afford is specced a lot better OEM than I can afford to build at for the same cost. Maybe not at the xx1 end of the spectrum, but certainly on the middle?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
"Dumbed down" is just a turn of phrase mate to illustrate a point, don't take it literally.
I am well aware of bikes coming standard with mismatched components but your argument of comparing a DH bike with mismatched components doesn't stand up as that is they way they were released by the factory. The buyer had no option on parts choice unless they swapped out the bits post purchase.
Replacing an XX1 derailleur with a GX on a bike that came with a full XX1 group set is a different matter.
I think it is wrong and takes the edge off an otherwise superb bike, call it wank factor if you will, so be it.
good lord. you need new friends if you are ridiculed for mismatching parts.

i ride bontrager shoes on a specialized bike.. On a scale of 1 to Chris Brown, how angry are you right now?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
ok my XX1 is pretty much gone... its lived a hard life and now its on the way out...

my question is.... do i buy another XX1 derailleur or do i get a GX?

i am just finding it hard to justify spending double on essiently the same bit
or am i missing something...

i know the weight difference...
but is that really it?

i dont want to spend money on a GX and then take it for a spin and go... shit... that was a bad investment....
This seems like an excellent compromise.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...6QmlrZSBDb21wb25lbnRzOjE6MTE6Y2NDYXQxMDAwNjY=

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Re mtbr and arts cyclery article,

Except they don't seem to have included Gx in their testing - it was published just before Gx was launched.

Last edited: