Detailed Plan for MTB Park on Northern Beaches

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Had a read through the plan, looks impressive, hope it eventuates.

Had a lol at "nuggsts of gold" on the website and in ref to Mt Stromlo's DH track; "commences at an elevation of 765 kms"

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any word of where the OFRH proposal is up to?
It's still in the works, moving along. Meeting with MALC again soon, and taking steps to make sure that MTB doesn't lose out if the current "let's turn the whole area into a national park" proposal goes through.

That's a possibility ?

I know Garrigal is next door, hopefully sanity will prevail !!!

Mr Rabbit rides a bike and this is just up the road from him, if he is happy to buckets of cash into brookie oval, this one is a snap !!!

Repent all ye haters !!!!

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Awesome... can't wait..... may need to polish up the shovel just in case there's a call to arms.. hehe

8738br

Likes Bikes
"let's turn the whole area into a national park" proposal
When did this idea start floating around?

Anyway on another note, I've noticed a lot more evidence of motos getting in around deep creek. Given the soil is quite sandy in this area and the lack of rain we've had lately they are ripping it pieces. Is there anyone we can report this to? I respect that the motos need somewhere to ride and they have plenty of trails on red hill side of the parkway. A lot walkers use these trails so there could potentially be a serious accident one day.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the current "let's turn the whole area into a national park" proposal

It's a fairly recent development... fortunately it's still early stage. Basically, it seems to involve a deal between Friends of Narrabeen Lagoon and MACL, whereby some land would be developed, and the remainder of MALC land in the catchment area handed over to National Parks. I'm hopeful that MTBers on the beaches have sufficient political sway these days to prevent the proposal from going through in a "anti-bike" form; there'll probably be a call-to-action for riders at some point.

slowandold

Likes Dirt

Anyway on another note, I've noticed a lot more evidence of motos getting in around deep creek. Given the soil is quite sandy in this area and the lack of rain we've had lately they are ripping it pieces. Is there anyone we can report this to? I respect that the motos need somewhere to ride and they have plenty of trails on red hill side of the parkway. A lot walkers use these trails so there could potentially be a serious accident one day.
What gives you the idea that motos are legal at Red Hill. There are gates and signs at every proper access declaring that they are prohibited.

Some have forged new access points off the Parkway and thus can claim ignorance because they haven't seen the signs. Most just ignore the signs and ride with impunity. My understanding is that unless they have direct permission from either the land owner or responsible authority(of which their are several) they shouldn't be there.
Just because it isn't policed doesn't make it either legal or ok.
This area is also used by bush walkers and horse riders.

8738br

Likes Bikes
What gives you the idea that motos are legal at Red Hill. There are gates and signs at every proper access declaring that they are prohibited.

Some have forged new access points off the Parkway and thus can claim ignorance because they haven't seen the signs. Most just ignore the signs and ride with impunity. My understanding is that unless they have direct permission from either the land owner or responsible authority(of which their are several) they shouldn't be there.
Just because it isn't policed doesn't make it either legal or ok.
This area is also used by bush walkers and horse riders.
I know its not legal. I'm just saying that I recognise that all user groups have a right to use the outdoors. Red Hill is crown land from my understanding so I presume thats why they've been able to ride there for so many years unchecked.

My question was who do we report this to? I presume you know the trail out to bernies. I don't want to see whats happened there happen elsewhere

It's a fairly recent development... fortunately it's still early stage. Basically, it seems to involve a deal between Friends of Narrabeen Lagoon and MACL, whereby some land would be developed, and the remainder of MALC land in the catchment area handed over to National Parks. I'm hopeful that MTBers on the beaches have sufficient political sway these days to prevent the proposal from going through in a "anti-bike" form; there'll probably be a call-to-action for riders at some point.
"who can stand in the way, when there's a dollar to be made"

being a tip there has to be a population of endagered KB or Stag lager bottles that must be preserved and prevent the land being turned into units

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
being a tip there has to be a population of endagered KB or Stag lager bottles that must be preserved and prevent the land being turned into units
I have to say, one of the most entertaining things about being involved in the process has been the creative objections that can be raised when the usual "save the environment" arguments don't apply.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"who can stand in the way, when there's a dollar to be made"

Residual landfill gas filling wall cavities is usually sufficient to prevent development.

I was out on the site this morning, could be interesting.

Last edited:

Link

Likes Dirt
Looks great but it says that the downhill trail is to be based on A-Line at Whistler... please no.

From the looks of things there will be enough stuff at the park for intermediate riding - if they are going to put in an advanced track they should at least model it on something that doesn't aim to cater for mums and dads cruising down the hill on hire bikes. Council sponsored downhill trails really need to lose this mentality - there is a reason why no downhillers ever ride Copperhead, Kinglake, Stromlow, You Yangs, or even Eagle Park.

You know what makes a track "advanced"? Corners without berms, rocks, ruts - not buffed superkickers.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate A-line cause i cant jump for shit, but the idea of a bike park with buff TABLES to practice on is exciting.
Australia has enough of the trails your mentioning above, but bugger all jump trails.
I rode the top section of stromlo the other week with all the berms and jumps, and it was sick