DH bike for someone with long arms and legs

Hey guys,

I am looking for a DH bike that would suit someone with longer legs. I'm around 190cm and I've had trouble finding a frame that suits me. Most seem to be too short from the seat to the handlebars and I end up hitting my knees on the handlebars or not having proper leg extension etc when pedalling. Has anyone else had this problem? Looking for something second hand in the sub-$1500 market.

Thanks!

cruxpitch

Likes Dirt
Frame

The 2014 GT Fury MEDIUM size would suit you perfectly. Designed with a longer cockpit. I have had medium sized frames all my life and mistakenly bought this. Its way too bloody long for me and I am 180cm.

higiff

Likes Dirt
^ medium would be way to small for 190cm
The fury's are big but that big, Medium runs similar size to the new Long demo which i run at 183cm and sometimes feel like it could be longer.
At 190cm the large would be the way to go for sure.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last of the 26 er glory`s < 2011-2014 > in large are very spacious large frames . The right bar rise and stem rise and/or spacers under the top crown / direct mount stem will sort the knee bar issue .

hazza6542

Eats Squid
V10 C (expensive) come in XXL which is Minaar size, older large frames come in a real large. Most large's now feel like my medium at about 187ish

T-Rex

Template denier
If you are hitting your knees on the bars, seat to bars has nothing to do with it, the issue is BB to bars. And maybe crank length, if you are running something other than 165.

Seat position (it's a saddle, seats are what you sit on in the bar, like I am now) on a DH bike is mostly about steering the bike with your inner thighs/knees. You really shouldn't sit on it other than in the shuttle queue.

At 190cm, with long limbs, you are not going to have any trouble getting over the back of the bike, or over the front, so as SideFX suggested, a slightly longer stem, and slightly higher bars than typical, should fix this problem on an otherwise appropriately sized frame for you.

Another tip: Don't ride in shorts. There have been some shocking accidents from tall-ish guys catching the cuff of their shorts on the shifter or the top of the fork stanchion when sprinting on DH bikes.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im 194cm and have found the following have good sizing, always the biggest size they have:
Morewood Makulu, 26 ok - 650B is better but you wont get 2nd hand
Iron Horse Sunday
Turner DHR
V10
Spesh Demo
Some Giant Glorys (check the year/ geo as they change a bit)
Rotec

Check reach or calculate it. Look for an effective TT of 620+ and reach of 420+, they should work

Out of interest what bikes and sizes have you tried? I like a long bike and havent had many issues as long as I get a large and avoid ridiculously small bikes like Polygon.