DH bikes in XL sizes

luke240z

Likes Bikes
Hi,

I'm looking for a new downhill bike but with regard to different manufacturers, they all seem to produce different size frames. I'm 6'6" 93kg and looking for a brand or particular downhill make that would fit such a frame. I haven't seen many XL DH bikes getting around, do they produce many if any or is it a custom build. If I'm spending the dollars I would like to make the right choice.

Cheers
Luke

macca21

Likes Dirt
don't know about 'XL' sizes, but some companies' Large frames are quite big, probably XL in other brand sizing... Specialized and Santa Cruz are two that come to mind.
Santa Cruz might even make an XL that's not a custom jobby, I've seen quite a few XC type 'Cruzes that are XL...

luke240z

Likes Bikes
I'm currently riding a Santa Cruz Heckler in an XL and find it a good fit. Have been looking at the V-10's but haven't tested their Large to see if it feels right.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure Steve Peat rides an XL V10. So they may be available.
Otherwise, I'm 6'4" with long legs and i ride a Large Ironhorse Sunday, and that's brilliant. So I'd say you'd definitely be able to ride a Large by most company's, just check the geo and even better ride them first.
Also I believe the new Turner DHR's come in XL if you don't fit on a large.

driftking

Wheel size expert
As mentioned the V10 is not only riden by the beast peaty but they come in 4 sizes this year, one been XL
The commencal large frame is pretty big and although might not be the biggest out there it might be worth a look gee is over 6ft so might be worth a sit at least.
Specialized tend to have big frames as well, im not sure on there new models and sizing but worth a look.
Also nicolai do custom builds, not only are you getting a custom frame but a high quality hand build almost piece of artwork.
The intense m9 or m6 is probably also worth a look.
Not sure about orange these days but given peaty and faircough both came off one might be an idea to see what there sizing is like. I had a look on the site and they dont have a chart so I guess someone wil have to chime in with there experience.

Last edited:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well im 6ft 1 and i rode a 15" 224 very comfortably, longest bike ive ever ridden, i can only imagine the 17" is huge

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where did you get this info from ? they advertise it in s/m/l/xl.
I had previously tried to order one, sounds like they are now doing the XL size, will have to check it out!

Edit: Damn, they got my email and are finally making XL V10's. Look like a pretty good size for the taller lads!

Last edited:

RMS116

Likes Dirt
I'm around 6ft 3 and I have a large commencal supreme DH. I find it great for my height.
It has a long wheel base and is pretty tall compared to other bikes. Also going by commencal's
website the sizes for the supreme DH are S/M and L/XL

I'd go supreme DH or v10

Last edited:

BKelly

teh fast
I'm 6'2'' and ride a large Turner DHR, I rode a mates L/XL Commencal yesterday (real nice bike) but was shorter than my large DHR. Turner also do an XL which I first built up which was way too big for me, think it suits riders up to about 6'6''. The DW link suspension is very nice too! Definitely worth checking out!

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canfield Jedi's come in XL.. there new 2011 frames are pretty sweet!
Also 17" (large) Orange 224's are pretty big.