DH Clipless Pedals; DX vs XT/XTR Trail

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

After leaving DH for a while, and predominately just riding trail I have decided I am wanting to run clipless pedals on the new DH rig. Originally I was set on getting the Shimano DX clipless pedals, but after thinking about it some more, the new Shimano XT/XTR trail pedals also looked like a contender. After browsing through the search function, and across google, I could not really find too much information in the way of how the XT/XTR trail pedals performed in a DH application.

It is obvious that the DX pedal offers more 'support' due to its larger platform in comparison to the trail pedals, but I can't really see that being of a huge advantage over its trail counterparts.

I guess though I was just wondering whether anyone has used either versions of the trail pedals on their DH bikes, and whether they performed as well as previous pedals, and or whether they have stood up to the abuse, and or whether the DX pedals are just the way to go for DH.

Cheers guys.

sensai_miagi

Likes Bikes
hey buddy I got a pair of DX about 5 years old but only used for about a year and great condition, I use flats now so looking to offload them for not much, PM me if you'd like them as a cheap way of trying out DX's

Winno

Likes Dirt
I've recently sold my DX clipless after running with them for a number of years on my AM Santa Cruz Bullit.
The DX's were touted to me as the XTR of DH/AM pedals and they did indeed live up to the XTR reliability and longevity claims. At the time of buying them, there was no such thing as a true 'XTR platform'.
I too would be keen to know of other's feedback on them.
I've seen the new XT and XTR platforms but must admit to not actually riding them yet.

But I do wonder when looking at Shimano's new offerings because the new ones are so much smaller, if they'll offer the same stability that the much larger metal DX cage gave to the actual SPD mechanism.
I know many AM/DH riders who like wider pedals.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Whilst I've used the DXs for DH for a couple of years, I would have to say that although they are great when clipped in, they're total shite when you're not... Given that fact and that they're super-heavy, I don't think it would be hard to beat them. The trail-oriented pedals may well be the answer.

Having platforms is definitely an advantage though - much easier to clip back in if you have to dab a foot in corners.

I've often thought about Crank Bros as they offer a lower profile binding and pins (and are much lighter), but I just couldn't work with something where you can't adjust the tension. If Shimano could come up with a similar design I would be sold.

met63

Likes Dirt
Xtr

XTR XTR XTR

ive raced bmx for 19 years and have used spd's for years. the dx was my last purchase up until the xt/xtr pedals came out. i will never got back to a dx. the amount of times ive snapped springs in DX pedals is a joke.

highly recomend the XTR over the XT though. big weight difference for such a small object. and they fit nice and flush against your foot.