DH derailleur upgrade question (or 2)

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
To my learned friends,

Smashed by X7 derailleur yesterday and now assessing replacements - anyone tried the Zee derailleur and if so what'd you think?

Also, I'm looking at retaining my current shifter - is there any compatibility issues I should know about? Ive read you can run the Zee (10 speed) with a 9 speed shifter, but just wanted to check...

And lastly, what chain would you recommend getting - XT, XTR, Deore, etc. - and does 9 speed or 10 speed matter?

Thanks very muchly in advance RB'ers.

moorey

call me Mia
SRAM 9 speed shifter works with 10 speed shimano mech on a 9 speed cassette. I'm running this without a problem.
If you just want another SRAM 9sp shorty, x9 or xo, I'm planning to sell a few off.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
EDIT: Sorry just reread OP (X.7 9 speed...) Sorry.
________

The newest X7 is a Type 2 RD (clutched). Same as X9 of previous year with a different finish. Have been looking at them myself, but can't find the short cage version selling anywhere just yet.

http://www.pricepoint.com/blog/?p=1027

Last edited:

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Sorry after taking the thing apart it is an X5 shifter, and the cassette I'm running is the SRAM close ratio.

I've done a bit of reading online and from what I can tell it should work - I figure worse case I'll have to change either the shifter or the cassette...

Likes Bikes
To my learned friends,

Smashed by X7 derailleur yesterday and now assessing replacements - anyone tried the Zee derailleur and if so what'd you think?

Also, I'm looking at retaining my current shifter - is there any compatibility issues I should know about? Ive read you can run the Zee (10 speed) with a 9 speed shifter, but just wanted to check...

And lastly, what chain would you recommend getting - XT, XTR, Deore, etc. - and does 9 speed or 10 speed matter?

Thanks very muchly in advance RB'ers.
I'm pretty sure you should be changing the chain to 10sp so you get better shifting and longer use. I think if you retain the 9sp chain it would be a bit short and wears the teeth quicker