DH- New Brakes

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey

Looking at some new brakes for my DH rig

Been looking at the Hope range and also Shimano range.

I like my code 5, had a shit load of power, wayy more than i would have needed, just didnt have enough adaptability.

Anyway buy the end of next week ill have some money to play around with...

Suggestions on good, adjustable brakes?? And what is the difference between 2pot, 4pot, 6pot?

Thanks

Last edited:

fairy1

Banned
Pfft 6 pistons are for shirt lifters, get these-http://www.gatorbrake.com/page3.htm, well don't actually they'll be crap.
The longer the pad the harder it is to stop brake drag, if you have a really long pad you have to get the alignment spot on of your pads will drag. I have a set of Moto V2s and a set of the new ones(dunno the name) and I am stupidly fat but still don't any more power.

What you nee is someone like S to give you a paragraph on the coefficient of friction and why six piston brakes won't give you any more power.

flyracing

Likes Dirt
mate you don't need 4pot brakes, 2pot are more than powerful enough.
I've got Elixer R's on my glory and they've been pretty good the on the fly lever adjustment is pretty cool. My new bikes got Elixer CR's they just have the pad contact adjustment as well which is pretty handy but probably not worth the extra cash.

Jimass

Eats Squid
I've got the same problem, need new brakes, im 69ish (hehe 69) on a 18.2 kg rig. Ideas? Don't wanna spend more that $375~

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I have read they don't have as much power as the Hope 2 pots but have much better modulation. Mine seem fine to me but as you are so much lighter the 4pot just may be the way to go.
Sweet, so you got these ones? so they 4pot? same as the Code 5's?

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Huh? nope I have these-http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31560
Mine are good but the levers don't seem to love the mud as much as the previous levers, most of the Hope brakes run this master cyl and just run a different slave(caliper). Four pots will be fine for you, any more questions?
Yeh 1 more hehe....thanks for help though

The M4s are 4pot correct? and can i use my Avid rotors with them?

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a pair of the old hopes mono m4`s . They were so shit that i would never use hope brakes again . On crc they have formula oro the one for $500/550 on there weekend sales . Worth a look .

fairy1

Banned
Yeh 1 more hehe....thanks for help though

The M4s are 4pot correct? and can i use my Avid rotors with them?
Yup V2=2pot, M4=4pot, your rotors will be fine but I would get the Hope rotors if you go with the V2.

I had a pair of the old hopes mono m4`s . They were so shit that i would never use hope brakes again . On crc they have formula oro the one for $500/550 on there weekend sales . Worth a look .

Do Formua do a replacement lever for these yet or do you still have to replace the whole master cyl assembly af you bust a lever?