DH or XC dually

Hi guys, I have recently made the transition from a road rider to MTB XC racing, I love it!! I have a Trek superfly 29er which seems great on the trails. recently I took the trek to the youyangs for a go at some of the DH runs. It was obviously not the right bike for the job. What would people recommend I buy if I want a good all round bike that could do some of the DH stuff as well as XC? Or am I best to fully commit to a DH specific 2nd MTB and just use the trek for the XC racing? Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Don't get a down hill bike! Get a good all mountain bike or at least a good dually. I have a son who has got a DH bike and suddenly he cant ride up hills anymore. Drives me insain!:director:

Others will have better advice but there aren't too many tracks you cant go down on a good AM. Plus you can get back up without a shuttle.

Which tracks did you ride at the Youies?

Thanks for the tip. I road all of the tracks at youies, road like a real hack, just bashed over things and had no idea. But alot of fun!! Cressy decent was my favorite as it was the only one I was remotely smooth on, and could go around the bigger jumps :)
Which of the all mountain bike brands would you recommend?

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the tip. I road all of the tracks at youies, road like a real hack, just bashed over things and had no idea. But alot of fun!! Cressy decent was my favorite as it was the only one I was remotely smooth on, and could go around the bigger jumps :)
Which of the all mountain bike brands would you recommend?
Turbulence & Babdages & Glory? On a hardtail? Although I know one of the park rangers over there and he reckons he as ridden every track on his cyclocross bike.

What's your budget? I find anything starting with a Y is good.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
a different opinion...

Well here come the different opinions!

If you like DH, don't waste your coins on an AM bike. You already have a 29er for pedaling and other activities I am not familiar with. Awell balanced DH bike will provide you with the right geometry and travel for railing through the obstacles presented on a dH track. A food free ride bike would also be passable. And who pedals back up? Shuttle or push depending on track length.

Buying an AM bike will just lead to you not fully enjoying a DH trail, expensive repairs, and. An increase risk o injury.

But! You may have a different notion of DH than I do. I haven't ridden the trails you are referring to. My favourite bike atm is a Santa Cruz nomad. Very capable. Very fun. With the right parts. But it ain't no DH bike.

Mmmm... I'm leaning toward the DH specific bike as I do want to get right into DH riding. I grew up riding motocross so have some skill, very limited ATM but think I can learn quick with some commitment.
Budget is about $3000. Or as much as I can get for my trek madone 6.2 or a swap?
I will post soon, when I can trade etc
If any one can recommend best buy for that budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driftking

Wheel size expert
Well here come the different opinions!

If you like DH, don't waste your coins on an AM bike. You already have a 29er for pedaling and other activities I am not familiar with. Awell balanced DH bike will provide you with the right geometry and travel for railing through the obstacles presented on a dH track. A food free ride bike would also be passable. And who pedals back up? Shuttle or push depending on track length.

Buying an AM bike will just lead to you not fully enjoying a DH trail, expensive repairs, and. An increase risk o injury.

But! You may have a different notion of DH than I do. I haven't ridden the trails you are referring to. My favourite bike atm is a Santa Cruz nomad. Very capable. Very fun. With the right parts. But it ain't no DH bike.
+1

A AM bike is great if you do am riding with some down and up hill but nothing dh or xc specific .

Shorter travel am will lag massively on the downhill
Longer travel am will be a pain in the a$$ to pedal.

A mid range travel am bike will do both averagely but neither great.
If your rising xc and downhill you want a bike for both jobs.

You already have the 29er for xc grab a dh bike for the downhill rides.

Koper25

Likes Dirt
If you want to try your luck at DH, buy a dedicated DH bike. I made the switch at the end of last year. This is my story in tl;dr:
- sold my Giant Reign X1
- bought a hardtail for fun/xc/messing around/everything else
- bought a dedicated DH bike
- signed up at a DH MTB club
- started racing the VDHS
Best decision I've ever made in relation to bikes, never looked back.

Get one of these then, it starts with Y.
http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/303wc
Thanks for all the advice. Makes sense. I think I will try my luck with the DH specific and keep the 29er for the xc stuff.
Santa Cruz look good too! Let's hope I can swap my madone for one. I'm just 6feet, so is that a 19.5 inch or large? Or do I go a bit smaller? My xc bike is 19.5 but feels a touch on the big side? Unless that's just the 29er wheels making it feel that way? Not sure.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mmmm... I'm leaning toward the DH specific bike as I do want to get right into DH riding. I grew up riding motocross so have some skill, very limited ATM but think I can learn quick with some commitment.
Budget is about $3000. Or as much as I can get for my trek madone 6.2 or a swap?

I just happen to have a bike you might be interested in, if you aren't to tall (180cm or less). Shoot me a pm and I'll throw you some details. At a minimum it will give you a bit of an idea on what you can expect to get for your coins.

kl3ggy

Likes Dirt

Norco Aurum 6.3?? Can pick them up new for alittle over $3000 and look mean as in the flesh.

Specs: http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/dh-race-park/aurum/aurum-63/

natskis

Likes Bikes
It's a huge decision to make.
IMHO, do something out of the ordinary. Head to Thredbo for a weekend. Hire a DH bike, shred those trails and see if you love it enough to buy a full DH or you want something more All Mountain.

99% chance you'll end up confirming that you wanted a DH bike and you'll get one.
But at least you'll know for sure that's the right decision to make. Plus you'll get one HELL of an awesome weekend.

DJR

Likes Dirt
It's a huge decision to make.
IMHO, do something out of the ordinary. Head to Thredbo for a weekend. Hire a DH bike, shred those trails and see if you love it enough to buy a full DH or you want something more All Mountain.

99% chance you'll end up confirming that you wanted a DH bike and you'll get one.
But at least you'll know for sure that's the right decision to make. Plus you'll get one HELL of an awesome weekend.
That's an awesome idea. You could also do Buller with chairlifts and DH bike hire (Aurums i think?) as it's not as far to go and has chairlifts 'till Oz day.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Do people on this site have too much money or something? Everyone seems to recommend buying more than one bike!! Amazing. I would love to but there is the mortgage and the family to think about.
Here are a few bike buying tips I have lent to friends unfortunate enough to be married and have kids...
- a happy husband is a good husband
- I coukd ride a new bike or a new wife
- every inch lost from my circumfrance is an inch gained on your radial lever
- honey think how much better my cardio performance will be
- its about bonding with the kids better
- I can't take them riding if I can't keep up
- its a safety issue, I need to ride the trail without them to make sure it is safe and i know it
- I could be an average Australian man, or I could be better. Its your choice honey
- but a bike is cheaper than a second car.

There's plenty more of this perfectly good common sense available if these arent the right angle.