DH Rims - Recomendations

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I need new rims, I currently have a ditch witch on the front which has seen better days, and a Dice SMO on the rear, which I find both heavy, and has a small dint in it from a high speed collision with a gutter.

What sort of rim can you recommend for DH that isn't to pricey, and doesn't weigh more than the rest of the bike. I was thinking of Mavic 321's unless there is something else better. Price listing would be appreciated.

S.

ex offender
321s or 521s would be my recommendation. I think they're $110-120/end (not 100% sure on that).

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get D321 rim.
do a search on farkin there are heaps of threads about these kind of questions

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
i'd take a 521 over a 321- every 321 i've owned has been cracked and flatspotted, the profile of a 521 seems better.

bazza

look at me
521 has done the same, cracked and flatspoted. try atomlab dhrs, for a light race rim. just dont go trusting dh rims for freeride stuff. like drops to flat and stair gaps. unless you like buying new rims off course.

Glenn

Likes Dirt
i like my 321 had them for ages and the rear on has only just started to crack now... they arnt called 321 any more, 729 i think! same rim just new numbers, yeah about 120 bucks

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
Id like a pair of DHR's...i like trail pimps, but im a bit scepticle about the lack of eyelets...Does it make a difference?

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is also for freeride, drops and jumps etc so the trail pimps or DHR's are sounding good. Max I would wanna spend is about $120, but i get 20% off RRP so I guess anything a bit over would be ok.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
bullshit matt, that dint aint small, its likem mega dint, the whole side of the rim bent in

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Go 321's. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it's only now started to crack on the weld. Thats a long time for a DH rim. Going to be getting one again.

Murf

Likes Dirt
Hey ive got a set of mavic 321 disc's on my molotov and i have never had a problem with them i recomend them

fastrider gus

super huck
2 smooth said:
Id like a pair of DHR's...i like trail pimps, but im a bit scepticle about the lack of eyelets...Does it make a difference?
the section of the rim that the spoke goes through is thicker than usual, so eyelets arent needed.. but i would be more comfortable with them anyway... (if i had them :roll: )

nacerbag

Likes Dirt
ive just got some new D321's which are the EX729's, there pretty much the same as the d321's, but i find them wicked! i only weigh 65kgs though!

Jordy

RYD4LF
what about those new sun mtx rims ? beefier then single tracks but way lighter then double wides... tested by chris kovarik

S.

ex offender
2_fast_4_u said:
what about those new sun mtx rims ? beefier then single tracks but way lighter then double wides... tested by chris kovarik
Was the test a success or a failure? Tricky wording there ;)