DH shoes. Five Ten vs Rivers shoes

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Ty, I had a very different experience. I got a pair of tennies to replace my Mtn Masters. I've been wearing them for over a year and they're doing fine. Not as grippy and not as comfy though. You must have scored a manuf fault.

Ty

Eats Squid
Ty, I had a very different experience. I got a pair of tennies to replace my Mtn Masters. I've been wearing them for over a year and they're doing fine. Not as grippy and not as comfy though. You must have scored a manuf fault.

yeah thats what alot of people said, my climbing partners give them nothing but love, the shop I got them through refunded the warantied shoes and i got some montrail CTCs, slightly less climby but a bit more friendly to walk any distance in (tennies do have that cool "I'm a climber" look to them though).

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like 5-10's i don't mind forking out the money for them either.(despite the discount,kinda bragging,i know).I use to use 5-10 for rock climbing too,that's what attracted me to them for riding.

Wonder Boy

Banned
Hey m8.
Just get some good qaulity skate shoes.
They always do a fine job and cost less then a lot of MTB shoes.
Just go to ur local surf shop and they can hook you up.
Mine have lasted me 2 years now.

samjam

Likes Dirt
ive had my 5-10's for about 6 months.i wear them everyday.i wear them at work too.i wouldnt wear anything else.they are great for walking the bike up steep stuff and they just feel solid.i had a pair of rivers shoes when i first started.they were not as solid as the ones shown but they only lasted 3 weeks.i would have no probs giving the rivers a go but i figure $170 every 18 months is good value for anything in this sport under so much preasure.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Hey everybody. After seeing the post about how the "Five Ten" shoe's sole went in under 3 months I went looking at Five-Ten's at my LBS and they were $170. I not saying they are expencive but there are shoes out there just as good or better that stand up to the "Five-Ten". I just bought these "Rivers" shoes for 40 bucks and they feel just as good or even better than the "Five-Ten", so if you have a cheaper, better or just as good shoe as a "Five-Ten" post it up! (maybe a pic of the sole if you can)
I just laughed so hard i nearly fell of the chair. Hiking boots are not mountainbike shoes- not even close. But yes, by claiming that Five 10s are expensive, you can take pride in knowing that you've won the tightarse of the year award.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I just laughed so hard i nearly fell of the chair. Hiking boots are not mountainbike shoes- not even close. But yes, by claiming that Five 10s are expensive, you can take pride in knowing that you've won the tightarse of the year award.
And by claiming that someone who thinks $170 sneakers are expensive, is a tightarse has just won you a new title. Congratulations.

Viv92

Eats Squid
And by claiming that someone who thinks $170 sneakers are expensive, is a tightarse has just won you a new title. Congratulations.
Owned, haha.

He has a point though, and I seriously doubt those Rivers shoes would stand up to 5-10's. IMO this thread's a bit of a waste of time and you're not gonna find anything that's really gonna come close that's just designed for general walking around.

BTW, to the guy who posted this, the design of the sole of the shoe is not really the main thing in this, it's the stuff it's made off. 5-10's have nice and soft rubber that grips very well because of the manufacturer's background in rock climbing shoes. Rivers definitely don't have the know how to produce anything up to 5-10's standard.

Last edited:

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha Ha Daver, $170 is not cheap for shoes!

I have 510's, got them in Canada where they retail for $95.

You can get them re-soled as NSM said, my mate just got his done here http://www.bigjohn.com.au/ or as an alternative you can get the 510 stealth rubber applied to the bottom of your favourite skate shoe, hiking shoe, thongs or whatever you like.

OH64

Likes Dirt
I've had my 510's for about 6 months now without any real wear, can imagine they'll last a good 12 or more months quite easily.

Also buy them from climbing stores and you'll do a lot better than $170...in saying that I got mine from a bike store for $120 and most places have them on shelf at $150.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't trade my five tens for any of the rivers range, not even the fetching brogues. I'm pretty hard on shoes and have worn these things pretty much constantly for six months, when I ride flatties I wouldn't use anything else. As for the tight arse question, 170 squid for shoes is still a lot if you have no brass at all.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldn't trade my five tens for any of the rivers range, not even the fetching brogues. I'm pretty hard on shoes and have worn these things pretty much constantly for six months, when I ride flatties I wouldn't use anything else. As for the tight arse question, 170 squid for shoes is still a lot if you have no brass at all.
considering the amount a good skate shoe costs these days, 100 is the minimum youll be paying really and then they just dont stand up in comparison

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I have 510's, got them in Canada where they retail for $95.
MEC aparently had the old design on sale recently for $55. I missed out and had to get the new ones for $95 as well.

I had to hike a bike in snow today. Those things grip any surface.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
considering the amount a good skate shoe costs these days, 100 is the minimum youll be paying really and then they just dont stand up in comparison
I was just trying to make the point, if you have no cash $170 is still a lot. As Daver said it is all relative. I saw the price of five tens as good value and purchased, as a matter of fact I'm heading up to Hornsby R'e in them right now. Mountain bike shoes you can wear to the rissole, gotta love that.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey m8.
Just get some good qaulity skate shoes.
They always do a fine job and cost less then a lot of MTB shoes.
Just go to ur local surf shop and they can hook you up.
Mine have lasted me 2 years now.
skate shoes are way too soft, the pedal pins chew holes in them in a few months, a proper BMX shoe like an Orchid or a Lotek will last 3-4 times longer and only cost an extra $30.