dh trail builders needed

big geoff

Likes Dirt
so a few of my mates have been building some short course DH and free ride stuff in bunyip state forest and i have come across an amazing spot for a new DH trail. It would end up being about 3 to 4 km long, starting in a sweet rock section on a 50 plus degree hill. The rock section has limitless possibilities and there is very little undergrowth. There is about 500 metres of vines and small scrub that needs clearing then it opens onto a cleared section under power lines (like king lake). There is a little bit of push up required but shuttles should be easy. Point is i need a build crew to help me build this dream track so if you got big ideas and a shovel let me know. Oh bunyip is just past cockatoo and gembrook. If your interested e-mail me @thegeoffbayldonshow@hotmail.com

big geoff

Likes Dirt
And I take it that this will be a legal track?
so about the legalities. i'm not totaly sure but i think it's a bit of a grey area as bunyip is a state forest not a state park or national park which are both heavily regulated. As im sure most of you have read the trail building post im going to stick mostly to that except for the telling people bit as i need help. so i won't be cutting down any trees (don't really need to) or building and north shore that isn't totally nesecary. motorbikes and fourbys regularly use the area so i'd recon a single track trail would be the least of Park's worries. i'd also hope the remoteness would keep teamkilling newbs away. from my experience most riders i've met around vic seem to be pretty cool and willing to help with maintainance. I'll keep you posted on how it's coming along but it should be pretty balls

scratchy

Farkin Activist
meh who cares its about time somone built some dh tracks out this way there is sh*t loads of land
Er as the moderator of this forum on LEGAL trail building, I do.

And so should you before you waste your time putting in a lot of effort into something that might just get destroyed because you couldn't be bothered going through the correct channels.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think you may run into some trouble if you're building trails under powerlines. To the unsuspecting eye it seems okay and it may be clear land to build on but in my experience with powerlines you'd want to steer clear of it. Most of the time, the reason it is clear under the lines is because the people who maintain it need access to it. If you put a trail on it that interfers with their access..................it'll be gone in no time and they'll have serious words with whoever builds it.
Your best bet would be to find out who has control of the land and talk to them about it. They may be very accommodating and offer you some advice and tell you where you can build.
If it is as good as you say it is, you should pursue the legal avenue first before you get all your hard work and effort pushed into a pile for a bonfire.

big geoff

Likes Dirt
I think you may run into some trouble if you're building trails under powerlines. To the unsuspecting eye it seems okay and it may be clear land to build on but in my experience with powerlines you'd want to steer clear of it.

cheers for the advice mate. The land under the powerlines is owned by a private energy provider and has been gated off to limit access to red neck fourby drivers who mess with and shoot at the power lines (info from local resident) I really just want to use the clearing to skirt the edge of the tree line for parts where undergrowth is too dense. For Vic riders picture King Lake where the track cuts in and out of the bush. Thanks again for your advice and ideas. cheers