DHL Delivery Fail?

slowK

Likes Dirt
Hmmm. 3 weeks ago I ordered some new wheels from Bike24 in Germany . Posted the next day with tracking number. Received an email from Bike24 2 days later; they were informed by DHL/Deutsche Post that the terrible weather in Europe (+ Xmas holidays etc) meant shipments would be delayed, expected arrival in mid-Jan.

I tracked the parcel on DHL's website and get this:

To me this looks like:
the wheels made it to Australia on Jan 5, cleared customs on Jan 6, and then were "delivered" on Jan 7 (no such thing happened). 8 hours after "delivery" they were back in Germany (Hamburg, then Saulheim), went back to the same parcel processing centre, and are now again on their way back to Australia.

Have emailed DHL; awaiting response.

Bloody ridiculous delivery fail. Hope they still arrive...

Magura

Likes Dirt
Due to the weather here in northern Europe lately, things have gone a bit awry regarding shipping.
I have seen stuff lots worse than that lately, from just about any shipping agency around here (here is Denmark in this case).
They will sort it out, but patience is a must, as they are in deep atm.

Magura :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
10+ years of DHL O/S deliveries through work and private experience suggests they will arrive when they are cleared. Never had an issue with them fulfilling contract.

Magura

Likes Dirt
10+ years of DHL O/S deliveries through work and private experience suggests they will arrive when they are cleared. Never had an issue with them fulfilling contract.
That is also my experience, and the same can be said about UPS as well.

Only shipping company I have seen real un-deluded stupidity from, is GLS, and naturally the national postal services.
GLS takes the prize though, for refusing to admit their own very unfortunate errors, even after sending them proof of it, and even after seeing the proof, they still refused to at least take measures to make sure it did not continue like that.
.....go figure.

Magura :)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
from my experience DHL is usually pretty good ... but we are waiting on some packages which were shipped late Nov ... Just prior the big freeze.

still waiting.

One thing to note, apparently DHL policy is that if the address is incorrect, then it gets shipped back to Germany ... even if you get the consigner to attempt to change the details whilst the package is obviously freezing its cardboard off in some alley somewhere ...

Welcome to direct importation.

chica

Likes Dirt
One thing to note, apparently DHL policy is that if the address is incorrect, then it gets shipped back to Germany ... even if you get the consigner to attempt to change the details whilst the package is obviously freezing its cardboard off in some alley somewhere ...

having worked for DHL for 16years (no longer though), this is not their policy (unless it changed in the last year). if it arrives with an incorrect address it will be held at the destination and if there are any listings for you or your company then they will make contact, hopefully a telephone number is on the package making it quicker to get your correct details. If no luck here they will contact the origin country who will contact the sender to get your details.

hopefully you have been in contact with their customer service (131406) and lodged a tarce to get someone to investigate the delay as this does seem like an extreme delay

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks for that and I wasn't or won't be surprised if you are correct (which I hope) and my bullshitting contact was ... uhmmm bullshitting.

sent some emails last night ... but will also give them a call.

Cheers again
Al

schwing

Likes Dirt
sometimes person to person ( even by phone ) is the best way to go. give DHL a call. They may have an update.

I had a package got to Sydney NS instead of Sydney NSW. Problem with two letter limited address state fields
Caused me some grief but it was sorted eventually

that's Sydney Novia Scotia - who knew?

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DHL fail

Well, I ordered some stuff express from dhl, says 2-3 working days express, I bothered paying cause I needed the stuff in a hurry. Ordered on CRC monday, in the expectation it would arrive before friday. Dhl received it on tuesday. Hits Australian wednesday midnight. Here I am thinking ok, maybe delivery will be thursday arvo. Customs Australia fail#1. Clearance delay. The ok, two hours later, customs processing. Sweet. 24 hours later. Australian Customs fail #2, customs processing. So the gear didn't arrive on friday, which means it won't arrive till monday. Not too happy, as i wouldn't have bothered working an extra $80 or so out now. Come monday ring DHL, as there's no change to tracking advice. They say ring back tomorrow cause there's some issue and our import team arn't in. So ring back, find out they lost the paperwork somehow and so aussie customs are refusing to clear it. I ring dhl again, and they ask if I could email them a copy of the receipt. Ok all done, get a reply saying they have it and it should be all clear sailing.

A week later Monday. I ring dhl getting pretty unhappy and she pulls the "DHL and australian customs are giving clearance priority to Flood relief in QLD. Most flood relief is national and doesn't go through international clearance anyway. I also assume, no offence QLD but I don't care out the floods, yes it's crap but it's no excuse when you've payed nearly $100 for express. I also find out a friend who ordered CRC through the normal free postage, bought monday arrived friday.

So long story short, I would never bother with paying for express postage again .DHL you are a fail. Don't flame me for not caring about the floods, there's nothing we can do about them. But shipping and courier companies shouldn't quote time periods when they are in the knowledge of natural causes creating delays.

Why is it all being delayed here, and yet the snow storms in UK (CRC are based) created no problems on that end. Hmmmmm There's my rant over.

Ghost_Biker

Likes Dirt
I'm really pissed with DHL at the moment. Myself and 3 other people ordered around $900 each worth of dive gear from Germany and have been waiting over 2 months. A previous order took about 12 days.

After some google/forum searching im led to believe stuff is getting shipped by sea rather than plane. Might have something do with the Aussie $ being so strong there's so much stuff being shipped here or too much snow?

We've all sent multiple emails to DHL with responses telling us nothing. Now they dont even respond

chica

Likes Dirt
I'm really pissed with DHL at the moment. Myself and 3 other people ordered around $900 each worth of dive gear from Germany and have been waiting over 2 months. A previous order took about 12 days.

After some google/forum searching im led to believe stuff is getting shipped by sea rather than plane. Might have something do with the Aussie $ being so strong there's so much stuff being shipped here or too much snow?

We've all sent multiple emails to DHL with responses telling us nothing. Now they dont even respond
sounds like your shipment has been sent through the German Postal System (which happens to be the owner of DHL - there are a bunch of divisions of DHL - Express, Global Forwarding (shipping and airfreight), Global Mail etc). If it was sent via Express it should have been arrived within 3-4 days.

if you haven't already done so, I would be getting the shipper to chase it their end as well

slowK

Likes Dirt
My wheels arrived today.

I did get an email response from DHL a few days ago, which didn't add much to the on-line tracking info. They did say that the final delivery would be done by Australia Post, which is what happened today.

Still no idea why it went DE-AU-DE-AU, but it arrived.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
We are also having issues with Bike24/DHL. One order apparently left Germany 3 weeks ago for the country of destination and nothing since - no updates, it doesn't register on AusPost tracking, DHL require the sender to start an investigation into where it is and Bike24 hasn't answered emails yet.

We've ordered from Bike24 before and received stuff extremely fast - seems like something has changed in the shipping :confused:

p.s in contrast I ordered from CRC last week and it came via DHL even though I selected the standard postage option: ordered on the 2nd, shipping on the 4th and arrived on the 8th.... if it works for CRC why not Bike24??

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
DHL does seem to be dodgy at the moment. I've got some gear coming from Germany that "The shipment is being transported to the destination country" on 2 March and still haven't arrived in Aus. Normally once its "left country of origin" then its in Aus within 2 days, its not like planes can fly any slower!

Ghost_Biker

Likes Dirt
DHL recently took for me (and 3 others) just under 3 months to deliver from Germany. We'd paid for it to be posted on a plane, but came but boat anyway. It was all passed onto Deuch Post, which is basically snail mail. After complaining a bunch you'll probably get a new tracking number from Deuch Post and some lame excuses that explain nothing.... will never use DHL again.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Bike24 have now initiated an investigation with DHL but state that it takes up to 8 weeks to get a result... :mad:

DHL seem to be still saying the transit time is 7-9 days, despite the internet-forum evidence that it's more like weeks to months. (DHL response below - with helpful German phone number to ring!)

> thank you for your request.
>
> The parcel left Germany on 16.02.2011 going to Australia.
> General running time for your parcel is 7 - 9 business days.
>
> Your parcel will be delivered by the local Post.
>
> The match code is CL685204105DE . This should help to track the parcel in Australia.
>
> As your parcel is overdue by now please contact the sender of your parcel and ask him to start an investigation.
>
> In case your parcel does not arrive at the recipient until 08.03.2011 please contact the sender and request an investigation.
>
>
> Do you have any further questions? Please don't hesitate to contact your customer service representative using the phone number given below.
> In case you answer back via mail please refer to your first request.