DHX 5 Tuning

muvro

Likes Dirt
Sorry to start a new thread for this, but I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of some threads related to tuning the DHX 5 Coil shock. I tried the search function, but it came up with No matching threads???

Or if you have any handy tips and ideas regarding tuning, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers

muvro

Likes Dirt
I've just done the oil seals and dust seals and oil in my fork, and the forks responded really well to it and really really plush. I wanted to know if there was any info I could go through to experiment with the shock to make it more plush. It tends to get a bit bouncy when going through rock gardens and similar other situations. Like the compression damping is too firm. But I've got the pro-pedal on minimum and the bottom out on the second line. I run a 450lb spring and I hand to wind the platform a few turn to get the sag right (about 20mm) but I don't want to go to a softer spring as I seem to bash my pedals and cranks quite often.

Does thinner oil help?

I had a little play with the air pressure in the small chamber but I don't know how it effects the shock so I didn't change it much. It's sitting at 110psi if I remember correctly.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Cheers

macca21

Likes Dirt
in a dhx5 the min air pressure is 125psi, so maybe up it a bit and lighten the spring weight?

jrewing

Eats Squid
I've just done the oil seals and dust seals and oil in my fork, and the forks responded really well to it and really really plush. I wanted to know if there was any info I could go through to experiment with the shock to make it more plush. It tends to get a bit bouncy when going through rock gardens and similar other situations. Like the compression damping is too firm. But I've got the pro-pedal on minimum and the bottom out on the second line. I run a 450lb spring and I hand to wind the platform a few turn to get the sag right (about 20mm) but I don't want to go to a softer spring as I seem to bash my pedals and cranks quite often.

Does thinner oil help?

I had a little play with the air pressure in the small chamber but I don't know how it effects the shock so I didn't change it much. It's sitting at 110psi if I remember correctly.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Cheers
Sag should be more. too much rebound can make it feel too stiff. Set sag or or get correct spring if need be

muvro

Likes Dirt
in a dhx5 the min air pressure is 125psi, so maybe up it a bit and lighten the spring weight?
Sag should be more. too much rebound can make it feel too stiff. Set sag or or get correct spring if need be

OK, thanks guys. I'll give this a go.

I will add, if I run any more sag, I am going to really bash stuff hard with my cranks over rock garden style flats and climbs.

I'll drop some rebound out of it and reset my pressure to above 125 and see how that goes. If it doesn't help, I'll try a heavier spring and have another play around.

The problem has only surfaced recently as I have been going a bit quicker than I usually do. Where I used to go slowly and pick my line carefully, I simply now barrel down, if not pedal into it. So, before the slower approach never really unveiled a not so good setup, but with a bit more pace it seems like something is a miss.

Thanks for the help guys.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
The sag should be 30%~ for a DH bike - what bike is it, and how much travel does it have?

Having the correct spring rate is the FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT part to get right.

muvro

Likes Dirt
The sag should be 30%~ for a DH bike - what bike is it, and how much travel does it have?

Having the correct spring rate is the FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT part to get right.
The bike is a '08 Norco Six. I use it for mainly light FR, biggest drops I do are 5-6ft and aggressive AM if there's such a thing.

If I recall correctly I was told that around 20mm was about the amount of sag I had to have. But my memory seems to be getting worse and worse these days... lol

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Have you thought of sending it to Push for a pro tuning?

Apparently (AMB) rate them highly and their quality of tuning is that you would only get if you had your own pro personal tuner.

You send it off to them with a few details ie: Rider weight, riding style, average terrain (small hit big hit), average speed etc and post it off.

They will fine tune it for you personally. You get a graph chart with all the prior settings and how they performed and a post service chart, warranty and a fancy sticker ooh! Plus, if they replace or your seals etc (chances are they will) this is included in the fee and they send you back all the old parts so you can see what they have replaced.

I havn't used them, but they may be worth investigating.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=31&type=products&title=FOX DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0&product_id=16

Last edited:

Tyre Kicker

Likes Bikes
How much pre load are you running on the spring? (20mm?) Max is 2 turns on the spring collar from when you make contact with the top of the spring. I would back it off as it means the shock is under constant pressure, if it is too soft get a 50 lb heavier spring, it will give the dampening on your shock an easier time especially the rebound circuit.

TBSM can service and tune your shock for you, it makes a massive difference.

http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=sus

muvro

Likes Dirt
Have you thought of sending it to Push for a pro tuning?

Apparently (AMB) rate them highly and their quality of tuning is that you would only get if you had your own pro personal tuner.

You send it off to them with a few details ie: Rider weight, riding style, average terrain (small hit big hit), average speed etc and post it off.

They will fine tune it for you personally. You get a graph chart with all the prior settings and how they performed and a post service chart, warranty and a fancy sticker ooh! Plus, if they replace or your seals etc (chances are they will) this is included in the fee and they send you back all the old parts so you can see what they have replaced.

I havn't used them, but they may be worth investigating.

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/index.php?menu_id=31&type=products&title=FOX DHX 3.0/4.0/5.0&product_id=16
I'd rather have a play with the basic stuff first, then go from there. But I'll keep that in mind. Cheers

muvro

Likes Dirt
How much pre load are you running on the spring? (20mm?) Max is 2 turns on the spring collar from when you make contact with the top of the spring. I would back it off as it means the shock is under constant pressure, if it is too soft get a 50 lb heavier spring, it will give the dampening on your shock an easier time especially the rebound circuit.

TBSM can service and tune your shock for you, it makes a massive difference.

http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=sus

I think from memory I'm running 2.5 maybe 3 full turns on pre-load. (from when the collar touches the spring.) Nah, the 20mm sag I refer to is with me sitting on the bike.

Do springs come in 25lb increments or only 50lb?