DHX Air on Heckler

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day All,

No luck in the WTB thread looking for a coil to try on the 2012 Heckler.

Currently has an RP23 - its not that i dont like it, its just that i do like the feel/action of coil shocks (from DH on different bikes admittedly)

Are the new piggy back air shocks e.g. DHX5 really that close to coils now?

For what its worth - i like to ride hard and fast, will be using the bike for AM and soft DH (on the odd occasion)

For the cost of sending the RP23 to be 'pushed' by NS - i can get a half decent second hand coil - and still have the RP23 as a backup.

Dilemma - wait out for a coil to come up, or get onto a piggy back air???

Any advice much appreciated.

cheers.

jawry

moorey

call me Mia
I advise you to get a dhx air. Mine, specifically. Mate just put one on his heckler, he's well chuffed.

DJR

Likes Dirt
DHX Air is a somewhat old design nowadays, when I had one (norco 6 FSR 6" bike), it didn't really feel that right but it did the job. The equivalent nowadays is the RS Vivid Air, RS Monarch Plus, Fox Float X and other things such as the Cane Creek DB Inline/DBAir.

I always found the DHX air to feel plush but blow through its travel and wallow in the mid range. It was possible to put an RP2/RP23 air can on it to make it more progressive so you could get a second hand dhx air and put your current air can on it. I'd probably get something newer design wise though.

I have a RS monarch plus RC3 and I find it quite good, better performance overall compared with the older dhx air I used to have.

What kind of riding do you do on the heckler?

DJR

Likes Dirt
Yes moorey well spotted didn't have my brain engaged :) personally I'd go a monarch plus or float x but a 2nd hand dhx air would be easier to find and cheaper. The dhx air can be tuned with your air can change ( takes 5 mins), or with some shim material in the outer air sleeve ( I did this, used some CD-R container plastic ) to deal with the mid stroke support issue, alternatively you can get a custom shim tune on it but you should have enough tuning options without going that far.