Dickheads.

user name

Likes Dirt
He obviously just assumed its a thread FOR dickheads to post random musings.
Yes I chose my user name. no I don't have to type it in as the field is always auto-filed for me:biggrin1:

"random musings" I may be wrong but I thought my link was directly related to the topic? Perhaps you could give us some more ideas (random musings) of alternate uses for these tampons you describe?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yes I chose my user name. no I don't have to type it in as the field is always auto-filed for me:biggrin1:

"random musings" I may be wrong but I thought my link was directly related to the topic? Perhaps you could give us some more ideas (random musings) of alternate uses for these tampons you describe?
If you get sweaty hands while riding and callouses they make an excellent grip substitute. Absorb the sweat and those nasty vibrations.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Yep, dickheads. One day they will kill someone and it's a pity it won't be themselves. I don't ride a roadie so would not wear my GoPro, but if things like that would happen to me I'd certainly start doing so.
Yep.

Always dickheads driving stupidly that kill cyclist.

In Tassy the investigation into a car driver who killed a cyclist on a country road has finally been finished.

And the dude was following too closely to other cars and was following a truck (If I heard correctly) too closely, and went to over take, and bam, straight into the cyclist killing him at the scene..

Op; helmet cam would be more stable than a bar mounted one, or maybe a chest cam.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yep.

Always dickheads driving stupidly that kill cyclist.

In Tassy the investigation into a car driver who killed a cyclist on a country road has finally been finished.

And the dude was following too closely to other cars and was following a truck (If I heard correctly) too closely, and went to over take, and bam, straight into the cyclist killing him at the scene..

Op; helmet cam would be more stable than a bar mounted one, or maybe a chest cam.
The other thing to remember is that minor accidents happen many times a day in small cities - just look at all the wrecks you see on trucks - change that accident to one including a cyclist and it's major and can easily be fatal at 40kmh. Cyclists die in a given accident disproportionally , as do motor cycle riders .

Dickheads shout things, throw bottles etc, normal motorists make mistakes.

Skydome

The other thing to remember is that minor accidents happen many times a day in small cities - just look at all the wrecks you see on trucks - change that accident to one including a cyclist and it's major and can easily be fatal at 40kmh. Cyclists die in a given accident disproportionally , as do motor cycle riders .

Dickheads shout things, throw bottles etc, normal motorists make mistakes.

I hardly call following too closely to vehicles to see the cyclist a mistake really.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I hardly call following too closely to vehicles to see the cyclist a mistake really.
I've got to say I'm a little miffed by this statement; driving in such a way such that you're not aware enough of your surroundings to avoid killing someone is not a mistake?

Skydome

I've got to say I'm a little miffed by this statement; driving in such a way such that you're not aware enough of your surroundings to avoid killing someone is not a mistake?
They couldn't see a cyclist because they were following too closely, they no doubt consciously knew what they were doing was dangerous, and continued to do it, it is not a mistake when they keep following too closely and are not aware of their surrounds..

And in the end, they killed someone because of their own stupidity, they were just lucky it wasn't a truck they smashed in to.. Though I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't a truck, as it would mean one less retard behind the wheel, that cyclist and motorcyclist need to worry about.

Last edited:

Jim Junkie

They couldn't see a cyclist because they were following too closely, they no doubt consciously knew what they were doing was dangerous, and continued to do it, it is not a mistake when they keep following too closely and are not aware of their surrounds..
I'm pretty sure that if the person has a conscience at all, they would describe the decision they made to follow to closely as a mistake.

Even if they had no conscience, but their acts landed them in prison, they'd probably still describe it as a mistake (even if they were only referring to that instance).

Being aware of what they were doing doesn't mean the decision to do that wasn't incorrect.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I wouldn't say people who follow closely see it as so dangerous - still the rear ended is the most popular accident, plus if a truck starts to slow as it goes up a hill or turns into traffic going half the speed of the approaching vehicles, it is nearly always the case, that the car ends up too close to see past untill they can moderate their distance . More so just before overtaking where it's common to speed up on your side getting close before you overtake.

The civilised world calls them accidents because they are not intentional , even though sometimes hindsight makes it seem inevitable.

There is a huge difference between intent and accident .

Skydome

I'm pretty sure that if the person has a conscience at all, they would describe the decision they made to follow to closely as a mistake.

Even if they had no conscience, but their acts landed them in prison, they'd probably still describe it as a mistake (even if they were only referring to that instance).

Being aware of what they were doing doesn't mean the decision to do that wasn't incorrect.

Killing someone because you don't know how to drive safely, is very serious and should never be brushed off as a mistake..

They consciously drove in a way that was dangerous.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Killing someone because you don't know how to drive safely, is very serious and should never be brushed off as a mistake..

What evidence is there that it is " brushed off"?

A fatal accident will end with a court case with serious potential consequences, courts hear all the evidence and make judgments based on the evidence

Second, what evidence is there that they were conscious of driving dangerously?

Skydome

A fatal accident will end with a court case with serious potential consequences, courts hear all the evidence and make judgments based on the evidence

Second, what evidence is there that they were conscious of driving dangerously?
The driver has already had the blame laid purely on them from the courts, before the crash they were also following other vehicles too closely.

So they were wholly to blame for the death because they were driving stupidly, that's what the courts have determined.

Hopefully they get their licence terminated and get sent to jail..

Jim Junkie

/Snip/
Which was a mistake, i.e. it resulted in undesirable consequences and was the wrong decision to make. Mistakes have consequences, something people should be taught from day dot and what discipline is all about.

How is calling something a mistake brushing it off? The very definition of the word is "an act or judgement that is misguided or wrong.". Consciously or not, following too close and killing someone was wrong. Wrong because of lack of skill & judgement, or wrong because they were a dickhead who doesn't care for anyone but themselves.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt

It doesn't always work out though. I can think of a case where a woman killed a motorcycle rider at an intersection. After hearing her say she sped through a red light because she missed the yellow leading to the impact with the motorcyclist, she was found guilty of dangerous driving occasioning death or something similar. Before sentencing further information was provided describing how she had previously done the same thing and put another motorcyclist in a wheelchair. At the time the gaols were apparently too full (judges comment) and the driver received a $1500 fine and one year suspended license!

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The danger of playing music - Our ears help us build up a picture of our surroundings

This is also a big thing.
Drivers with music so loud they can't hear their own engine, let alone any road noise.

And cyclists who continue to ride in traffic with earphones in. Even if you have the volume down you are compromising your safety by not having your full hearing for cars, pedestrians or even your own bike developing problems...
(I used to love riding with tunes playing, but a few close calls really hit home. No longer do I ride with earphones, on or off road. It's just not safe!)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Excellent article, opened my eyes!

A must read if you ride on the road.

Good find.
Mmmm had occasion to seriously question myself yesterday - at a roundabout, there was a truck approaching the roundabout from ahead to turn right and I was focusing on that, made the decision it was safe to get through and a cyclist appeared from my right so I started then stopped again suddenly.

Also read somewhere that a roundabout is the most dangerous place for a cyclist - and experiences of friends testify to that. If I as a cyclist can nearly make that mistake of missing a cyclist, then anyone can.

I think the look left look right look left look right again and move your head past the A pillar as you do has great merit.