Did I get played like a fiddle? (bikeshop)

stirk

Burner
MSRP will differ from LBS-RP

How can this be misunderstood?

Editing to be clear cause I am quick off the post....

What does the S stand for in MSRP????

10 points to first correct answer!

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
MSRP will differ from LBS-RP

How can this be misunderstood?

Editing to be clear cause I am quick off the post....

What does the S stand for in MSRP????

10 points to first correct answer!
If the MSRP is in AUD than it shouldn't vary much though.
Yes its a "suggested" price but most are not going to change drastically from said MSRP

Can I exchange my points for a prize. Id like a yo-yo thanks is 10 enough...

stirk

Burner
If the MSRP is in AUD than it shouldn't vary much though.
Yes its a "suggested" price but most are not going to change drastically from said MSRP

Can I exchange my points for a prize. Id like a yo-yo thanks is 10 enough...
drifty, you are right but only if the LBS website listed is the same brand as sponsored by the manufacturer. i.e. Trek = Bonty

I've never seen a decent tyre listed for $30 online or LBS.

I'm a yo-yo, only need 1 point to win me

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt
Seriously? It's a fucken tyre cob, just go to the next shop

Some people expect the world. Build a relationship with a bike shop and it will pay dividends. Don't piss and moan about shop prices vs online prices to people in real life, they will give you the service you deserve.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Some people expect the world. Build a relationship with a bike shop and it will pay dividends.
Yeah, I'm sorry but that's just myth.

This forum is chocka-fucking-block full of stories about bike shops where cats have laid down thousands over thousands and they still get the jib. I'm definitely one of those thanks to a shop in Parramatta (holy shit, my parents even bought all of our kid bikes in this shop and the owner knew that when he penny pinched with me) and a shop in Sydney.

There are good shops out there, for sure - Bike Culture in Canberra are one of those shops. However to think that it's an automatic absolute that if you chat nice and buy heaps of shit from one place that you're always going to be treated favourably is just naive and patently incorrect.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I like to buy my tires (tyres) online .... I then don't have to deal with humans at all, best thing is I get my product delivered to my office door, or even better when Im not in my office it is left at my door. I don't like human contact , it gets in the way of things......

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm sorry but that's just myth.

This forum is chocka-fucking-block full of stories about bike shops where cats have laid down thousands over thousands and they still get the jib. I'm definitely one of those thanks to a shop in Parramatta (holy shit, my parents even bought all of our kid bikes in this shop and the owner knew that when he penny pinched with me) and a shop in Sydney.

There are good shops out there, for sure - Bike Culture in Canberra are one of those shops. However to think that it's an automatic absolute that if you chat nice and buy heaps of shit from one place that you're always going to be treated favourably is just naive and patently incorrect.
Eh, i guess we can only reference our own experiences. I've just been lucky then, I guess.

I'm not totally disputing what you're saying, but forums are chock a block full of a lot of stuff and i take everything i read online with a lot more than just the 1 grain of salt. As should everyone, really.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, that's probably pretty good advice regardless of the topic.

I too have had some excellent relationships with shops, my current dealio that I've listed above a case in point. I probably remember the bad experiences more than the good ones too. Unrequited bike shop love is always hard to get over..... :pout:

MARKL

Eats Squid
Maybe they read this thread and figured you wouldn't need the tire for a while?

Merry Christmas all :D :party:

I have 2 problems I encountered today :frusty:

I've a stuck BB (Shimano BB70) that wouldn't unscrew, its freaking jammed in!
*tried wd-40 and i've done quite a damage that some threads are off....

So while I was trying to remove the BB cup, I somehow managed to bend my shocks bolt/screw :frusty:
Should I DIY and get a nut and screw or get the exact ... =)
Seriously it's a tire, it's annoying but this isn't an issue to worry about, let it go. My expectation on a shop holding something without a deposit is an hour to half a day tops.

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt
Yeah, that's probably pretty good advice regardless of the topic.

I too have had some excellent relationships with shops, my current dealio that I've listed above a case in point. I probably remember the bad experiences more than the good ones too. Unrequited bike shop love is always hard to get over..... :pout:
Certainly is. I'm getting back on the bike after about 2 years totally out of the loop and my once favorite shop has changed hands, moved down the road and no longer provide anywhere near the service or range they used to.

Conversely, another shop just down the street has come leaps and bounds in that time and is a total winenr these days.

Pays to do the research I guess.

markgab

Likes Dirt
Maybe they read this thread and figured you wouldn't need the tire for a while?

Seriously it's a tire, it's annoying but this isn't an issue to worry about, let it go. My expectation on a shop holding something without a deposit is an hour to half a day tops.
I dont care its a tire or ten, its that cocky comment the guy made and the way I got played.
Fk that shop for misrepresentations....
I was being polite etc just asking about the price and why its different from the site.
Dodgey dealings.... Reserve and mysteriously 1 disappeared?

If they had great service I wouldnt mind buying at that price/or paying a premium.
50-100% more i really dont care :x
I frequent my lbs and buy items which are way overpriced just because of their service.
(Eg: Bought 2 shifter cables for $40? I didnt really mind as im sure it was mispriced. I was like meh its fine. Ps Just cables no installation).

End result
Trek Australia has offered sending me a pair of tyres for free.
Professionalism at its finest!

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
End result
That's pretty decent come back from them, shows they value their customers and image, even if one of their representing LBS doesn't have a clue on service.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Jesus dude, if you get this out of joint over a pretty innocuous comment like that I struggle to see how you get through a normal day without boiling over.

Dr. J prescribes two doses of desensitivity daily and a reduction of your extra virgin sense of injustice.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
End result
Do you feel as though you were that hard done by that you deserved to get the tyres for free?

Intense1

Banned
When I saw the title of the thread I was expecting something more serious.

What's happened is very minor compared to what can happen dealing with dodgy LBS's.

I wouldn't say you've been played like a fiddle, in fact it was hardly worth starting a thread over imo

markgab

Likes Dirt
Jesus dude, if you get this out of joint over a pretty innocuous comment like that I struggle to see how you get through a normal day without boiling over.

Dr. J prescribes two doses of desensitivity daily and a reduction of your extra virgin sense of injustice.
Hmmms don't see how that's boiling over? but hmmms
I merely accepted their challenge :) *research is key, ain't it?*

1) Mislead pricing + comment (challenge from them if its $30 or not) = leaded to a research on pricing
2) Regional office intervened and the shop changed its incorrect pricing and said I can purchase them at the rectified price.
3) Saturday was told there wasnt stock on 2.20 Australia wide but they have 2x2.35 inshop and could pick up on the day or arrange for a specified date *which was Monday*.
4) Went there and was told they only have one tire and was waiting for the other due to delivery (hmmm didnt know they could sent a shipment through on Sunday? Erms why was I told they had two)
Waste of my time taking half an hour off work and driving to the shop and making sure I reach the shop before it closes.

I've got all email/call logs and it'll show a clearer picture on how complacent/unprofessional the shop conducted it's itself as a retailer.
It's against forum rules, so can't post :(

*Don't know about others, but I wouldn't want to deal with negative individuals who are push overs*
*I rather do smth about it then sit back and be a wuss*

Do you feel as though you were that hard done by that you deserved to get the tyres for free?
Lol erms nope, it was all just feedback? As Trek said "If you have any further questions or queries please let me know."
Didn't even expect for free tyres.
I merely explained what happen on Monday.

Email:
What is your address?
I will send you two of these tyres free of charge for your troubles.
Hope this is a suitable resolution for you.

When I saw the title of the thread I was expecting something more serious.
What's happened is very minor compared to what can happen dealing with dodgy LBS's.
I wouldn't say you've been played like a fiddle, in fact it was hardly worth starting a thread over imo
Worth starting a thread?
My question was about the action by the shop, it seemed as if they were taking revenge as I contacted Trek, made me go down to the shop to buy a tire 'slowly milking' me into coming back again? Just wanted to double check?!
Hmmms would this be worth starting a thread too? "Online dating", imo no?
It's a forum, open to all, i'm not judging your intentions, all questions can be asked ain't it? As long as it follows rules and are of formal etiquette?

All in all I didn't like the experience from the LBS representing as a retailer. *REV*KE IT! :)*
Wouldn't want others to experience such a dodgey situation, hence, customer feedback to international head office?!
As above, I rather do smth about it and hopefully there is change.
*Btw I've bought from these guys in the past*
*Ps I own a Trek bike and what if I have to get my bike warrantied there? fck no*

Last edited:

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Hmmms ermmm yeahhhh hmmms no. Stop hitting that fucking enter key mid sentence or I'll stick smth smwr unpleasant.

(jk.. but, in all seriousness.... WTF? I reckon you've blown this WAY out of proportion.. sounds like a minor screw-up or miscommunication in store and nothing more)