Difference between Moto apparel vs. MTB apparel

Tom Chapman

Cannon Fodder
OK guys, im pretty new to the sport and im just in the process of selecting my ride gear for the seasons ahead,
i was wondering what the difference was between MTB apparel vs. Moto apparel? and would it make a difference to ride in?

Tom Chapman

Cannon Fodder
yeah not sure because i used to ride a lot of moto then converted to DH and wasnt sure whether there was a difference...

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Pants, gloves and jersey wise, you will be right.

Some guys use Moto helmets.... But to b honest they are too heavy and the interior liner is a lot thicker wasnt designed for the lower air flow of mtb and they get really hot. I would definitely recommend a proper mtb helmet.

Body protection is a little different but a lot is crossed over.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Clothing is fairly similar, If anything there will be slightly more movement in the legs for downhill pedaling and they may be more ventilated but I dont know, TLD always has the same looking moto gear as DH gear I would think they would make the same stuff to keep production costs down.

Helmets get a downhill one they are lighter and run more ventilation. The new dissident from specialized looks great and it also has a neck support thing so if you have a big crash the helmet can be removed with the neck stabilized.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH specific gear is generally lighter, easier to move in, and has better ventilation. Check out companies such as Track X.

As previously mentioned, definately look at a bicycle specific helmet, much lighter!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
i have ridden DH with moto gear, and ridden moto with DH gear. the moto stuff is much hardier if you have an off, but is also warmer because the nylon is thicker, good if its cold- not if its hot!
moto helmets for DH i think is a bit of an overkill, as they are heaps thicker and therefore heavier..unless you want to spend $500 upwards on a helmet to save weight,do what you think feels right. they both have to conform to aust standards anyway..