Differences between Shimano Hydraulic olive and inserts

WhyMe

Squid
From what I've been able to figure from using both on the same systems as availability has been poor at times.
The BH90 is made as the XTR of barbs, slightly shorter for weight and a slightly larger bore through the middle to have less restriction on fluid flow.
Neither have created a noticeable difference in use after installing so I wouldn't be concerned but would be good to see if anyone else has picked up any differences ???

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I've been able to figure from using both on the same systems as availability has been poor at times.
The BH90 is made as the XTR of barbs, slightly shorter for weight and a slightly larger bore through the middle to have less restriction on fluid flow.
Neither have created a noticeable difference in use after installing so I wouldn't be concerned but would be good to see if anyone else has picked up any differences ???
cheers.......

moorey

call me Mia
Same. I've used both the silver and brass in current model xt's. I can't feel a difference.

camoshop

Banned
My XTR brakes came with the non brass barb the xt ones I have i shorted using a brass one they looked identical to me

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found that the brass ones gave a spongier lever feel to my saints than the steel ones they replaced.
Changed back to the silver ones and the firmer lever feel returned. Maybe it's in my head, but I'll continue to use the silver ones..

moorey

call me Mia
I found that the brass ones gave a spongier lever feel to my saints than the steel ones they replaced.
Changed back to the silver ones and the firmer lever feel returned. Maybe it's in my head, but I'll continue to use the silver ones..
Maybe you got a bit of air in when fitting the brass ones....I know there used to be a guy on here who swore a difference, but I can't see it. :noidea:

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
The silver barb is shorter in length, larger internal bore (to increase fluid flow), but slightly narrower outside diameter (to fit the 'high power' hose). Shimano spec it for use with any brake that uses BH90 hose, which in the current lineup is all models Deore and above.

The gold barb is longer in length, smaller internal bore, but slightly larger external diameter to fit the BH59 hose, which currently comes on entry level brakes like M446, M395, and used to come on older pre-servo-wave other models - Deore/SLX/XT.

The olives are identical, as the outside diameter of the hoses are identical.

IMG_6581 (800x427).jpg

So, to the OP who was asking specifically about SLX brakes. Models M665 and previous used BH59 hose = gold barb. Models M666 and M675 uses BH90 hose = silver barb.

Will it matter if you use the wrong one? Using the gold barb on BH90 hose could theoretically restrict the flow because of the smaller ID, and could be a bit more difficult to insert into the hose because of the slightly larger OD and longer length, but in the real world I doubt you'll notice any difference. But, don't quote me on it, it's brakes we're talking about here, so why not just be safe and use the right one!

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The silver barb is shorter in length, larger internal bore (to increase fluid flow), but slightly narrower outside diameter (to fit the 'high power' hose). Shimano spec it for use with any brake that uses BH90 hose, which in the current lineup is all models Deore and above.

The gold barb is longer in length, smaller internal bore, but slightly larger external diameter to fit the BH59 hose, which currently comes on entry level brakes like M446, M395, and used to come on older pre-servo-wave other models - Deore/SLX/XT.

View attachment 309947

So, to the OP who was asking specifically about SLX brakes. Models M665 and previous used BH59 hose = gold barb. Models M666 and M675 uses BH90 hose = silver barb.

Will it matter if you use the wrong one? Using the gold barb on BH90 hose could theoretically restrict the flow because of the smaller ID, and could be a bit more difficult to insert into the hose because of the slightly larger OD and longer length, but in the real world I doubt you'll notice any difference. But, don't quote me on it, it's brakes we're talking about here, so why not just be safe and use the right one!
thanx awesome summary

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Ice Tech would be a better model identifier, because pre-Ice Tech M975 XTR/M775 XT & M665 SLX brake levers had Servo Wave action - and used BH59 hose.