Differences in damping between DHX Air and Float RP23

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of designing a 4" - 5" dually and I'm currently looking at shock ratios. I've noticed that DH bikes tend to have a 3:1, and up to a 4:1 ratio whereas XC bikes tend to have a 2:1. Basically, what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if the damping is set differently between the Fox FLOAT and DHX Air shocks? And, if I were to make a bike with a 2:1 ratio and use a DHX Air, is the bike likely to be over-damped?

As an example, the Intense 6.6 comes with the option of the RP3 or DHX Air or Swinger 4way Air with what I assume has the measurements of 7.875" x 2" and gives 6.75" travel.

Cheers,

---Matt---

treggs

Treggs Tuned
I can't tell you if the DHX and the Float have different setups internally but if you work on the ratios 2.5:1 - 3:1 you can't go too far wrong as most bikes fall into this range. 4:1 will probably be too much for a shock and I think the Intense example you give would be pushing the friendship a little. My new 4X is running an RP23 and it gives 4.5 inches from a 2 inch stroke. I would call that pretty typical.

At a guess I would say the DHX has a better chance of handling bigger ratio's as it is aimed at the free ride crowd, where the RP23 is aimed more at the All Mountain types. I could be talking shit though... Elvis should be able to answer that one for you.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't tell you if the DHX and the Float have different setups internally but if you work on the ratios 2.5:1 - 3:1 you can't go too far wrong as most bikes fall into this range. 4:1 will probably be too much for a shock and I think the Intense example you give would be pushing the friendship a little. My new 4X is running an RP23 and it gives 4.5 inches from a 2 inch stroke. I would call that pretty typical.

At a guess I would say the DHX has a better chance of handling bigger ratio's as it is aimed at the free ride crowd, where the RP23 is aimed more at the All Mountain types. I could be talking shit though... Elvis should be able to answer that one for you.
Yeah, rather than a 4:1 ratio, I'm actually looking at the 2:1 more closely. I'm trying to get 4" - 5" out of the bike with a 2" stroke shock just because that's the smallest size for the DHX and I think I'd prefer that over the RP23 just due to the bottom out adjustments. The bike is going to be a 4x-ish bike that I can do a bit of everything else on too.

Cheers for the info!

---Matt---

treggs

Treggs Tuned
If you are planning on "doing a bit of everything" then go for the RP23. The pro pedal lever is actually quite handy... I had the DHX/RP23 choice on the blur and the RP23 won.

udi

swiss cheese
For a 4x bike, i'd suggest the RP23 too. Shorter and less intense burts of riding will eliminate any heat issues that you might get with the smaller volume shock, and it's always worthwhile saving any weight you can on such a bike.

However to answer your question, I doubt the DHX would be over-damped. The fox adjustment ranges are quite wide in my experience; to give you examples - zero rebound is going to make it buck like crazy, and zero propedal is going to leave you with little to no compression damping in the earlier part of the stroke. Minimum air pressure will reduce the overall / position sensitive compression damping significantly, and winding the bottom out adjuster all the way out will leave the shock adequately linear.

Hope that helps.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the replies guys, I'll design it around the RP23. Next thing is working out these damn linkages!

Thanks again!

---Matt---